VATICAN - The Synod for the election of the new Chaldean Patriarch has started
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Today the Synod of the Patriarchal Church of Babylon of the Chaldeans has started in Rome, convened by Pope Benedict XVI for the election of the new Patriarch. The presidency of the Synod – at the house for spiritual exercises of Saints Giovanni e Paolo al Celio, run by the Passionist Fathers - is entrusted to Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, Prefect of the Congregation for Eastern Churches, who opened the proceedings with a speech in which he called for the illumination of the Holy Spirit on the choices that the Chaldean Bishops are called to carry out. "Each of their Excellencies - he said - is equally responsible for the patriarchal election results, especially in the delicate historical moment: the future of the Chaldean Church and its tradition and heritage, the understanding of the times and ecclesial situations, historical and social, development of pastoral guidelines and their applications."
Today, a Lectio Divina is scheduled for the Chaldean Bishops led by Bishop Enrico dal Covolo, Rector of the Pontifical Lateranense University, and a lecture by Archbishop Rino Fisichella, President of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization. Tomorrow, January 29, will be reserved for discussions and exchanges of views on the situation of the Chaldean Church. From Wednesday 30 voting will start, which will take place in accordance with the rules laid down by the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches. Fifteen Chaldean Bishops will take part in the Synod, besides Iraq, Iran (2), United States (2), Lebanon (1), Syria (1), Australia (1), Canada (1). (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2014-11-26 - The First International Day of Prayer and Awareness against Human Trafficking
- 2014-11-24 - Pope Francis: may the Lord grant a new missionary drive to the Church in India
- 2014-10-30 - Pope's appeal: take all necessary measures to eradicate the Ebola virus
- 2014-10-25 - WORLD MISSION DAY - CATHOLIC CHURCH STATISTICS 2014
- 2014-10-20 - Pope Paul VI, "a staunch supporter of the mission ad gentes"
- 2014-10-18 - VATICAN – Blessed Pope Paul VI: "The love for Missions is love for the Church, love for Christ!"
- 2014-10-13 - The memory of the missionaries, their examples, attract and inspire us to imitate their faith
- 2014-10-07 - First ever global campaign by the 160 Caritas national organisations: ending world hunger is their priority
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month
- 2014-09-24 - Pope's appeal to the countries of Africa affected by the ebola virus