VATICAN - The Synod for the election of the new Chaldean Patriarch has started
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Today the Synod of the Patriarchal Church of Babylon of the Chaldeans has started in Rome, convened by Pope Benedict XVI for the election of the new Patriarch. The presidency of the Synod – at the house for spiritual exercises of Saints Giovanni e Paolo al Celio, run by the Passionist Fathers - is entrusted to Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, Prefect of the Congregation for Eastern Churches, who opened the proceedings with a speech in which he called for the illumination of the Holy Spirit on the choices that the Chaldean Bishops are called to carry out. "Each of their Excellencies - he said - is equally responsible for the patriarchal election results, especially in the delicate historical moment: the future of the Chaldean Church and its tradition and heritage, the understanding of the times and ecclesial situations, historical and social, development of pastoral guidelines and their applications."
Today, a Lectio Divina is scheduled for the Chaldean Bishops led by Bishop Enrico dal Covolo, Rector of the Pontifical Lateranense University, and a lecture by Archbishop Rino Fisichella, President of the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization. Tomorrow, January 29, will be reserved for discussions and exchanges of views on the situation of the Chaldean Church. From Wednesday 30 voting will start, which will take place in accordance with the rules laid down by the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches. Fifteen Chaldean Bishops will take part in the Synod, besides Iraq, Iran (2), United States (2), Lebanon (1), Syria (1), Australia (1), Canada (1). (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Cardinal Filoni opens the formative year: "called to live the joy of the Gospel"
- 2015-10-01 - With the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, October, month of the missions begins
- 2015-09-15 - Cardinal Filoni on his visit: the enthusiasm of the Church in Bangladesh, the vivacity of the Church in India
- 2015-09-14 - The first blessed in South Africa: Benedict Daswa, family man, killed for the Gospel
- 2015-09-14 - Cardinal Filoni concludes his visit to Bangladesh where he meets families and seminarians
- 2015-09-12 - Cardinal Filoni meets Bishops, priests, religious and laity of Bangladesh: "We are all in a permanent state of mission"
- 2015-09-12 - Cardinal Filoni to the Bishops of Bangladesh: "try to sow unity in the dioceses"
- 2015-09-11 - Cardinal Filoni in Bangladesh for the XXV Anniversary of the diocese of Rajshahi: "there is much work to do"
- 2015-09-07 - Pastoral visit of Cardinal Filoni in Bangladesh, India and Nepal
- 2015-06-30 - VATICAN – Ceremonial gift of the pallium to 46 Metropolitan Archbishops, 13 belong to the territories of Propaganda Fide