AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Approximately 3,000 cases of child abuse in 2012: murders, accidents, abuse
Neiva (Agenzia Fides) - Every day 3 children die from violent causes in Colombia. Up till January 21 of this year 101 murders of children have been recorded, and in 2012 there were 2936 reported cases of child abuse. According to the local Office of legal medicine, in the month of January 16 deaths have been caused by accidents at home and at school; 36 murders, 17 cases are still being studied, 13 committed suicide and 19 have died in road accidents. The situation is particularly serious and disturbing in the department of Huila where girls are pregnant as a result of abuse by family members. The 'Instituto Colombiano de Bienestar Familiar (ICBF) reports sexual abuse (704 reported cases), psychological (122); physical (908); and negligence (694). The Fundación Restrepo Barco reports that throughout the country, 22% of cases are due to incest. Faced with the situation of el Huila, the ICBF has highlighted that cultural factors and poor literacy have a great impact. Between 1990 and 2012, about a thousand children suffered mutilation which require permanent dentures and 200 children died. In all these cases there are no criminal penalties for the perpetrators. From the 2011 Forensic report of legal Medicine, there were 1177 murders of children. The document also recorded 11,495 cases of domestic violence, 20,968 interpersonal violence, and 17,628 sexually abused. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez