ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Danger of cannibalism in the poorest provinces affected by drought and famine
Pyongyang (Agenzia Fides) - It is estimated that a severe famine in the rural Korean provinces of North and South Hwanghae has caused the deaths of 10 000 people due to cannibalism and it is feared that such accidents may continue to increase. A report by Asia Press points out particularly shocking testimonies. Undercover journalists revealed that the population of the two poorest provinces confiscated foodstuffs for distribution in the capital Pyongyang. What is making the situation worse is the drought that has further reduced resources. This emergency has grown to the point that so many people have become crazy because of hunger and have committed acts of cannibalism to feed themselves. This is not the first time we read similar news about the Asian country concerning this dreadful phenomenon. This past May, the Institute for National Unification South Korea, received the news about a man executed for having eaten parts of one of his colleagues and tried to sell the rest of the body as mutton. Another was executed for killing 11 people and sold the bodies as pork. There are also incidents of cannibalism in the detention camps. It is believed that in the 90s a terrible famine, known as the Arduous March, killed between 240,000 and 3 million and a half people. The UN officials visited the area but according to local reporters they were not brought to the areas affected by famine. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2014-09-02 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – A missionary says “thank you Pope Francis: now it is up to us”
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day