AFRICA/BURUNDI - The national stock of essential goods destroyed in the fire of the central market in Bujumbura
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - "Traders have lost everything and the national stock of essential goods has been destroyed. Now skyrocketing prices will rise and people unfortunately pay the consequences," says to Fides Agency Danilo Giannese, an aid worker in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, where yesterday, Sunday, January 27, a huge fire destroyed the central market of the city.
"It is said that there are also victims, but at the moment the news regarding this point is scarce," adds Giannese. "From where I am I can still see the smoke. Yesterday we were told to stay at home, because it could be dangerous, since acts of looting were reported."
According to local media, the fire broke out in the early hours of yesterday morning. The flames were extinguished after hours. The cause of the fire is still unknown.
The Head of State, Pierre Nkurunziza, returned to Burundi from Addis Ababa due to the state of emergency, where he was attending the African Union Summit. The President convened a special meeting of the National Security Council to assess the situation and has launched an appeal to national solidarity. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2015-07-16 - Doubts of the Burundian opposition regarding the mediation of Museveni
- 2015-07-13 - Arsenal of the rebels discovered, clashes in the north: confusing situation on the eve of the presidential vote
- 2015-07-06 - Rifts in the presidential party and the army on Nkurunziza's third term
- 2015-07-02 - More and more weapons circulate even among the opposition, a very worrying situation
- 2015-07-01 - Two hundred thousand Burundian refugees abroad, some priests forced to flee because of threats
- 2015-06-26 - Opposition announces the boycott of elections
- 2015-06-22 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Fear is widespread as legislative elections approach
- 2015-06-16 - "The situation is blocked", say local sources
- 2015-06-11 - Three people killed in Bujumbura, but for the President the demonstrations have now finished
- 2015-06-01 - An assassination attempt foiled against the Archbishop of Bujumbura during the Marian procession