AFRICA/BURUNDI - The national stock of essential goods destroyed in the fire of the central market in Bujumbura
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - "Traders have lost everything and the national stock of essential goods has been destroyed. Now skyrocketing prices will rise and people unfortunately pay the consequences," says to Fides Agency Danilo Giannese, an aid worker in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, where yesterday, Sunday, January 27, a huge fire destroyed the central market of the city.
"It is said that there are also victims, but at the moment the news regarding this point is scarce," adds Giannese. "From where I am I can still see the smoke. Yesterday we were told to stay at home, because it could be dangerous, since acts of looting were reported."
According to local media, the fire broke out in the early hours of yesterday morning. The flames were extinguished after hours. The cause of the fire is still unknown.
The Head of State, Pierre Nkurunziza, returned to Burundi from Addis Ababa due to the state of emergency, where he was attending the African Union Summit. The President convened a special meeting of the National Security Council to assess the situation and has launched an appeal to national solidarity. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2015-04-27 - Demonstrations for the third presidential term: the army prevents the police to use tear gas against protesters
- 2014-12-10 - "Elections are an opportunity for the Country and not a step back" warn the Bishops
- 2014-09-11 - Missionaries killed: "We do not believe in the police’s version, however, we will continue with our mission", says a nun
- 2014-09-09 - "The murdered nuns will be buried in Africa: love to the very end” says former regional Xavarian superior
- 2014-09-08 - Three Xaverian Missionaries killed in Burundi: the mission is full of people anxious to express sympathy with the sisters
- 2014-07-08 - The 'untouchables' of Burundi still waiting for full integration
- 2014-05-08 - The President of the Episcopal Conference announces the Diocesan Synods in order "to strengthen unity and deepen faith"
- 2014-03-25 - Parliament rejects the Constitutional Revision
- 2014-03-18 - "We are very concerned about the growing tensions" says local Church sources to Fides
- 2013-11-28 - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace