AFRICA/BURUNDI - The national stock of essential goods destroyed in the fire of the central market in Bujumbura
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - "Traders have lost everything and the national stock of essential goods has been destroyed. Now skyrocketing prices will rise and people unfortunately pay the consequences," says to Fides Agency Danilo Giannese, an aid worker in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, where yesterday, Sunday, January 27, a huge fire destroyed the central market of the city.
"It is said that there are also victims, but at the moment the news regarding this point is scarce," adds Giannese. "From where I am I can still see the smoke. Yesterday we were told to stay at home, because it could be dangerous, since acts of looting were reported."
According to local media, the fire broke out in the early hours of yesterday morning. The flames were extinguished after hours. The cause of the fire is still unknown.
The Head of State, Pierre Nkurunziza, returned to Burundi from Addis Ababa due to the state of emergency, where he was attending the African Union Summit. The President convened a special meeting of the National Security Council to assess the situation and has launched an appeal to national solidarity. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - The Church withdraws from the election process: "we cannot make ourselves guarantors of elections full of gaps"
- 2015-05-21 - The Church cannot support an electoral process that is likely to divide citizens
- 2015-05-19 - After the failed coup, demonstrations resume against the third presidential term
- 2015-05-16 - Five radio stations attacked during violence over an attempted coup in Bujumbura
- 2015-05-15 - Coup failed: "The streets of Bujumbura are deserted and the national broadcaster is the only outlet still broadcasting"
- 2015-05-11 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – There are already more than 50,000 Burundian refugees in neighboring Countries
- 2015-05-08 - Difficult negotiations between the government and opposition to overcome the political crisis
- 2015-05-07 - "May elections be held" ask the Bishops, invoking the path of dialogue
- 2015-05-05 - The Constitutional Court approves third term for Nkurunziza, while protests continue
- 2015-05-04 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Shooting in Bujumbura while protesters make their way to the center of the capital