AFRICA/BURUNDI - The national stock of essential goods destroyed in the fire of the central market in Bujumbura
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - "Traders have lost everything and the national stock of essential goods has been destroyed. Now skyrocketing prices will rise and people unfortunately pay the consequences," says to Fides Agency Danilo Giannese, an aid worker in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, where yesterday, Sunday, January 27, a huge fire destroyed the central market of the city.
"It is said that there are also victims, but at the moment the news regarding this point is scarce," adds Giannese. "From where I am I can still see the smoke. Yesterday we were told to stay at home, because it could be dangerous, since acts of looting were reported."
According to local media, the fire broke out in the early hours of yesterday morning. The flames were extinguished after hours. The cause of the fire is still unknown.
The Head of State, Pierre Nkurunziza, returned to Burundi from Addis Ababa due to the state of emergency, where he was attending the African Union Summit. The President convened a special meeting of the National Security Council to assess the situation and has launched an appeal to national solidarity. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2014-03-25 - Parliament rejects the Constitutional Revision
- 2014-03-18 - "We are very concerned about the growing tensions" says local Church sources to Fides
- 2013-11-28 - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
- 2013-11-06 - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "
- 2013-01-28 - The national stock of essential goods destroyed in the fire of the central market in Bujumbura
- 2012-11-07 - The Bishops welcome the Framework Agreement between Burundi and the Holy See signed on 6 November
- 2012-10-09 - Education for women, to allow the whole society to grow: the commitment of the JRS
- 2012-07-04 - Independence of Burundi is a treasure to be made fruitful: the message of the Bishops for 50 years of independence
- 2012-02-23 - Help for displaced people due to the torrential rains in the Gatumba is urgently needed
- 2011-12-13 - "We must make every effort to avoid the abyss of war": Bishops of Burundi’s appeal