ASIA/INDIA - "Day of Martyrs": in 2012, 135 attacks against Christians were registered
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - In the year 2012, 135 attacks on Christians in India were officially counted, according to a new Report sent to Fides Agency by the "Global Council of Indian Christians" (GCIC), released yesterday, on the occasion of the "Day of Martyrs". The Day was proclaimed by groups and Christian communities in the country, on the anniversary of the massacre of Protestant Pastor Graham Staines who was burnt alive by Hindu extremists, with his two sons in 1999.
According to the Report, presented by Bishop Sampath Kumar, of the Methodist Church, to lead the tragic ranking of Indian states where persecution is most heated is Karnataka (Central India) with 41 cases of attacks. Followed by Orissa with 16, Tamil Nadu with 15 cases, Madhya Pradesh 14. In Chhattisgarh there are 7 episodes, but among others, there are also Kashmir and Kerala, each with 5 cases.
The Bishop, illustrating the Report, recalled that "the blood of martyrs is the seed of Christians" according to Tertullian, saying that "the faithful killed are today in the presence of the Lord." "The persecution - he noted - allows us to participate in the sufferings of Christ; secondly, to lead a purified life; thirdly, to proclaim the Gospel of Christ." The Bishop, urging the faithful to "be strong in persecution", thanked all who work in defense of the Christians. He then reiterated that his purpose in writing the book "Burnt Alive" - dedicated to the memory of Pastor Graham Staines - is to "spread the message of forgiveness"
Yesterday, in spreading the Report, more than 600 Christian leaders from different parts of India, celebrated in Bangalore, the capital of Karanataka, the "Day of Martyrs", launched since 1999. Many of them reported testimonies of persecuted Christians and details of attacks against Christian communities. Among the initiatives launched, the donation of blood, which can be "a practical way to help members in need," reiterated Sayan George, president of the "Global Council of Indian Christians." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2013-05-16 ASIA/INDIA - Congress of catechists from Orissa, agents of evangelization in the Year of Faith
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/INDIA - Converted to Christ from Hinduism: two families persecuted in Orissa
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/INDIA - Allegations of "forced conversions": Hindu extremists against Christians in Kerala
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - Two missionaries who distributed biblical pamphlets: beaten and arrested
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/INDIA - The country has the highest number of child deaths within the first 24 hours of life
- 2013-05-07 ASIA/INDIA - No justice for the Christian victims of the massacres in Orissa: the figures of impunity
- 2013-05-02 ASIA/INDIA - Islamic militants to the Christian missionaries: "Leave Kashmir"
- 2013-04-30 ASIA/INDIA - Formation and awareness on rights, health, prevention of women from violence
- 2013-04-22 ASIA/INDIA - Sexual abuse concerning 50 thousand children in 10 years: "What is the value of life?" Asks the Church
- 2013-04-17 ASIA/INDIA - In Kashmir false accusations against Christians for "conversions of children"