AMERICA/MEXICO - "Stop the violence that is even in schools" concern of the Church and the CEDH
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Aguascalientes, His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martín, and the ombudsman, Omar Williams Lopez Ovalle, have launched an appeal to society to stop violence and discrimination, two factors that in this period threaten the unity of the family and social integrity. During a meeting held in the offices of the Diocese on January 23, both have expressed deep concern regarding the acts of violence that occur within families in Aguascalientes, as well as the violence that manifests itself in various forms of discrimination in society.
Lopez Ovalle also highlighted the increase in cases of abuse in schools, a phenomenon known as "bullying", denounced to the CEDH (Comisión Estatal de los Derechos Humanos). "Last year, the Commission received 62 complaints from parents whose children had been subjected to acts of violence in schools, and this year the complaints are even more frequent," said the Lopez Ovalle, stressing how this social phenomenon causes depression, frustration and sadness in children.
"Violence is found even when women, the elderly and the poor are discriminated – they both agreed -. For these groups, called by the government 'vulnerable groups', opportunities in society are reduced." According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the meeting took place because this year marks the 25th anniversary of the creation of the State Commission for Human Rights (CEDH), the first organization of its kind in the country. For the anniversary several events in collaboration with other institutions, including the Catholic Church have been scheduled. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children