AMERICA/MEXICO - "Stop the violence that is even in schools" concern of the Church and the CEDH
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Aguascalientes, His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martín, and the ombudsman, Omar Williams Lopez Ovalle, have launched an appeal to society to stop violence and discrimination, two factors that in this period threaten the unity of the family and social integrity. During a meeting held in the offices of the Diocese on January 23, both have expressed deep concern regarding the acts of violence that occur within families in Aguascalientes, as well as the violence that manifests itself in various forms of discrimination in society.
Lopez Ovalle also highlighted the increase in cases of abuse in schools, a phenomenon known as "bullying", denounced to the CEDH (Comisión Estatal de los Derechos Humanos). "Last year, the Commission received 62 complaints from parents whose children had been subjected to acts of violence in schools, and this year the complaints are even more frequent," said the Lopez Ovalle, stressing how this social phenomenon causes depression, frustration and sadness in children.
"Violence is found even when women, the elderly and the poor are discriminated – they both agreed -. For these groups, called by the government 'vulnerable groups', opportunities in society are reduced." According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the meeting took place because this year marks the 25th anniversary of the creation of the State Commission for Human Rights (CEDH), the first organization of its kind in the country. For the anniversary several events in collaboration with other institutions, including the Catholic Church have been scheduled. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop