AMERICA/MEXICO - "Stop the violence that is even in schools" concern of the Church and the CEDH
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Aguascalientes, His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martín, and the ombudsman, Omar Williams Lopez Ovalle, have launched an appeal to society to stop violence and discrimination, two factors that in this period threaten the unity of the family and social integrity. During a meeting held in the offices of the Diocese on January 23, both have expressed deep concern regarding the acts of violence that occur within families in Aguascalientes, as well as the violence that manifests itself in various forms of discrimination in society.
Lopez Ovalle also highlighted the increase in cases of abuse in schools, a phenomenon known as "bullying", denounced to the CEDH (Comisión Estatal de los Derechos Humanos). "Last year, the Commission received 62 complaints from parents whose children had been subjected to acts of violence in schools, and this year the complaints are even more frequent," said the Lopez Ovalle, stressing how this social phenomenon causes depression, frustration and sadness in children.
"Violence is found even when women, the elderly and the poor are discriminated – they both agreed -. For these groups, called by the government 'vulnerable groups', opportunities in society are reduced." According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the meeting took place because this year marks the 25th anniversary of the creation of the State Commission for Human Rights (CEDH), the first organization of its kind in the country. For the anniversary several events in collaboration with other institutions, including the Catholic Church have been scheduled. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill