AMERICA/MEXICO - "Stop the violence that is even in schools" concern of the Church and the CEDH
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Aguascalientes, His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martín, and the ombudsman, Omar Williams Lopez Ovalle, have launched an appeal to society to stop violence and discrimination, two factors that in this period threaten the unity of the family and social integrity. During a meeting held in the offices of the Diocese on January 23, both have expressed deep concern regarding the acts of violence that occur within families in Aguascalientes, as well as the violence that manifests itself in various forms of discrimination in society.
Lopez Ovalle also highlighted the increase in cases of abuse in schools, a phenomenon known as "bullying", denounced to the CEDH (Comisión Estatal de los Derechos Humanos). "Last year, the Commission received 62 complaints from parents whose children had been subjected to acts of violence in schools, and this year the complaints are even more frequent," said the Lopez Ovalle, stressing how this social phenomenon causes depression, frustration and sadness in children.
"Violence is found even when women, the elderly and the poor are discriminated – they both agreed -. For these groups, called by the government 'vulnerable groups', opportunities in society are reduced." According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the meeting took place because this year marks the 25th anniversary of the creation of the State Commission for Human Rights (CEDH), the first organization of its kind in the country. For the anniversary several events in collaboration with other institutions, including the Catholic Church have been scheduled. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language