AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 asks to review the 2011 elections; "on what basis if it does not have popular consensus?"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Among the points that the M23, the guerrilla movement active in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), has asked to discuss with the government of Kinshasa in the ongoing negotiations in Kampala, are also the results of the 2011 presidential elections, contested by the opposition.
"The M23, lacking popular consensus, due to a war that has damaged the population in particular, has decided to hit the Government in its weakest and obscure points, including the lack of popular legitimacy after the rigged elections in November 2011, corruption, the economic crisis, the lack of judicial reform and the army, incapable, the latter, to defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity, " explains a note sent to Fides Agency by the Network" Peace for Congo ".
"These are issues that have national weight and cannot be subject to 'private negotiations' between the two delegations, of the government and of the M23" the statement continues. "The appropriate place to find a solution to these problems is a national debate where the government, parliament, the political opposition and civil society can participate in." "This dialogue should not leave any room for authoritarianism of majority, to political revenge or a new division of power between hawks and doves, but it will have to be a place for an open and frank confrontation, searching for appropriate solutions to the real problems that prevent the country of moving towards democracy, peace, justice and respect for human rights," the statement concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23