AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 asks to review the 2011 elections; "on what basis if it does not have popular consensus?"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Among the points that the M23, the guerrilla movement active in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), has asked to discuss with the government of Kinshasa in the ongoing negotiations in Kampala, are also the results of the 2011 presidential elections, contested by the opposition.
"The M23, lacking popular consensus, due to a war that has damaged the population in particular, has decided to hit the Government in its weakest and obscure points, including the lack of popular legitimacy after the rigged elections in November 2011, corruption, the economic crisis, the lack of judicial reform and the army, incapable, the latter, to defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity, " explains a note sent to Fides Agency by the Network" Peace for Congo ".
"These are issues that have national weight and cannot be subject to 'private negotiations' between the two delegations, of the government and of the M23" the statement continues. "The appropriate place to find a solution to these problems is a national debate where the government, parliament, the political opposition and civil society can participate in." "This dialogue should not leave any room for authoritarianism of majority, to political revenge or a new division of power between hawks and doves, but it will have to be a place for an open and frank confrontation, searching for appropriate solutions to the real problems that prevent the country of moving towards democracy, peace, justice and respect for human rights," the statement concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue