AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 asks to review the 2011 elections; "on what basis if it does not have popular consensus?"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Among the points that the M23, the guerrilla movement active in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), has asked to discuss with the government of Kinshasa in the ongoing negotiations in Kampala, are also the results of the 2011 presidential elections, contested by the opposition.
"The M23, lacking popular consensus, due to a war that has damaged the population in particular, has decided to hit the Government in its weakest and obscure points, including the lack of popular legitimacy after the rigged elections in November 2011, corruption, the economic crisis, the lack of judicial reform and the army, incapable, the latter, to defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity, " explains a note sent to Fides Agency by the Network" Peace for Congo ".
"These are issues that have national weight and cannot be subject to 'private negotiations' between the two delegations, of the government and of the M23" the statement continues. "The appropriate place to find a solution to these problems is a national debate where the government, parliament, the political opposition and civil society can participate in." "This dialogue should not leave any room for authoritarianism of majority, to political revenge or a new division of power between hawks and doves, but it will have to be a place for an open and frank confrontation, searching for appropriate solutions to the real problems that prevent the country of moving towards democracy, peace, justice and respect for human rights," the statement concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs