AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 asks to review the 2011 elections; "on what basis if it does not have popular consensus?"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Among the points that the M23, the guerrilla movement active in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), has asked to discuss with the government of Kinshasa in the ongoing negotiations in Kampala, are also the results of the 2011 presidential elections, contested by the opposition.
"The M23, lacking popular consensus, due to a war that has damaged the population in particular, has decided to hit the Government in its weakest and obscure points, including the lack of popular legitimacy after the rigged elections in November 2011, corruption, the economic crisis, the lack of judicial reform and the army, incapable, the latter, to defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity, " explains a note sent to Fides Agency by the Network" Peace for Congo ".
"These are issues that have national weight and cannot be subject to 'private negotiations' between the two delegations, of the government and of the M23" the statement continues. "The appropriate place to find a solution to these problems is a national debate where the government, parliament, the political opposition and civil society can participate in." "This dialogue should not leave any room for authoritarianism of majority, to political revenge or a new division of power between hawks and doves, but it will have to be a place for an open and frank confrontation, searching for appropriate solutions to the real problems that prevent the country of moving towards democracy, peace, justice and respect for human rights," the statement concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "President, reinforce the presence of the State" is what civil society in North Kivu asks Kabila
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still instability in North Kivu: new attacks against civilians
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Catholics and Anglicans together for peace in the Great Lakes
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23: a historic victory for the Congolese army
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/DR CONGO - The M23 surrenders but first bombards civilians, accuse local sources
- 2013-11-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23 seems likely but there are 40 other armed groups in North Kivu
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
- 2013-10-25 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed