AFRICA/CONGO DR - The M23 asks to review the 2011 elections; "on what basis if it does not have popular consensus?"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Among the points that the M23, the guerrilla movement active in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), has asked to discuss with the government of Kinshasa in the ongoing negotiations in Kampala, are also the results of the 2011 presidential elections, contested by the opposition.
"The M23, lacking popular consensus, due to a war that has damaged the population in particular, has decided to hit the Government in its weakest and obscure points, including the lack of popular legitimacy after the rigged elections in November 2011, corruption, the economic crisis, the lack of judicial reform and the army, incapable, the latter, to defend national sovereignty and territorial integrity, " explains a note sent to Fides Agency by the Network" Peace for Congo ".
"These are issues that have national weight and cannot be subject to 'private negotiations' between the two delegations, of the government and of the M23" the statement continues. "The appropriate place to find a solution to these problems is a national debate where the government, parliament, the political opposition and civil society can participate in." "This dialogue should not leave any room for authoritarianism of majority, to political revenge or a new division of power between hawks and doves, but it will have to be a place for an open and frank confrontation, searching for appropriate solutions to the real problems that prevent the country of moving towards democracy, peace, justice and respect for human rights," the statement concludes. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/01/2013)
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012
- 2014-06-04 - Congolese expelled from Brazzaville: the two governments form a committee to verify human rights violations