ASIA/TURKEY - The Turkish authorities restructure the Foundations linked to religious minorities
Ankara (Agenzia Fides) - The Turkish General Directorate of Foundations has embarked on a radical review program of procedures and statutes that govern the functions of Foundations that are part of religious minorities. The initiative, announced in the official gazette of the state body will reset bodies - executive and board of directors offices - who currently manage the Foundations concerned. The restructuring, according to sources quoted in the Turkish press, were necessary to put an end to conflicts of interest which arose frequently within the same Foundations, sometimes monopolized by people interested in maintaining and defending their positions of income.
In line with the Treaty of Lausanne, the Jewish, the Armenian and the Greek Orthodox communities are religious minorities, that are guaranteed the possibility of establishing Foundations. These bodies often manage rents and real estates. Their governing bodies should be renewed periodically. The Greek entrepreneur from Istanbul Lakis Vingas, a member of a Foundation linked to the local Greek Orthodox community also welcomes the initiative of the Turkish authorities, "The need to ensure certain rules and trasparent management was felt", says Virgas to Fides Agency "so that the Foundations are really put to the service of the community to which they relate and do not become an instrument of self-interest." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2013).
- 2015-10-05 - Minority schools are likely to close due to lack of pupils
- 2015-09-09 - An art exhibition and a film about the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-05-08 - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew convenes the second Summit of Halki on environment
- 2015-05-07 - The demolition of Kamp Armen has started, former Armenian orphanage in Istanbul
- 2015-04-28 - Armenian Catholicos Aram I appeals to the Turkish Constitutional Court for the return of properties to the Catholicosate
- 2015-04-20 - Advisor of the Turkish prime minister who had spoken of the Armenian Genocide has resigned
- 2015-04-16 - ASIA/TURKEY – Even the Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople will commemorate the victims of the Genocide
- 2015-04-09 - A "hunger strike" to draw attention on the centenary of the Assyrian Genocide
- 2015-03-24 - No ringing of bells for the Armenian churches in the Turkish territory for the hundred years since the Genocide
- 2015-01-30 - Turkish Court orders the return of land to a Christian Foundation