ASIA/TURKEY - The Turkish authorities restructure the Foundations linked to religious minorities
Ankara (Agenzia Fides) - The Turkish General Directorate of Foundations has embarked on a radical review program of procedures and statutes that govern the functions of Foundations that are part of religious minorities. The initiative, announced in the official gazette of the state body will reset bodies - executive and board of directors offices - who currently manage the Foundations concerned. The restructuring, according to sources quoted in the Turkish press, were necessary to put an end to conflicts of interest which arose frequently within the same Foundations, sometimes monopolized by people interested in maintaining and defending their positions of income.
In line with the Treaty of Lausanne, the Jewish, the Armenian and the Greek Orthodox communities are religious minorities, that are guaranteed the possibility of establishing Foundations. These bodies often manage rents and real estates. Their governing bodies should be renewed periodically. The Greek entrepreneur from Istanbul Lakis Vingas, a member of a Foundation linked to the local Greek Orthodox community also welcomes the initiative of the Turkish authorities, "The need to ensure certain rules and trasparent management was felt", says Virgas to Fides Agency "so that the Foundations are really put to the service of the community to which they relate and do not become an instrument of self-interest." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2013).
- 2014-06-24 - The restoration of the cave church of St. Peter in Antioch is almost complete
- 2014-06-04 - 779 people have converted to Islam so far this year, mostly from Christianity
- 2014-05-31 - ASIA/TURKEY – Mobilisation to reconvert Ayasofya Musem back into a mosque
- 2014-04-25 - The Turks also celebrate St. John XXIII
- 2014-04-07 - Deputy Prime Minister assures: soon a regulation on the Foundations of minorities
- 2014-02-27 - ASIA/TURKEY – Restitution of lands to Syrian Orthodox Mor Gabriel Monastery completed
- 2013-12-18 - Turkish Minister to Armenians: Return to Turkey
- 2013-11-28 - The oldest Christian place of worship will become a mosque in Istanbul
- 2013-11-25 - Protestant Christian Pastor arrested on false charges of human trafficking
- 2013-11-22 - Armenian courses for «crypto-Armenians»