ASIA/TURKEY - The Turkish authorities restructure the Foundations linked to religious minorities
Ankara (Agenzia Fides) - The Turkish General Directorate of Foundations has embarked on a radical review program of procedures and statutes that govern the functions of Foundations that are part of religious minorities. The initiative, announced in the official gazette of the state body will reset bodies - executive and board of directors offices - who currently manage the Foundations concerned. The restructuring, according to sources quoted in the Turkish press, were necessary to put an end to conflicts of interest which arose frequently within the same Foundations, sometimes monopolized by people interested in maintaining and defending their positions of income.
In line with the Treaty of Lausanne, the Jewish, the Armenian and the Greek Orthodox communities are religious minorities, that are guaranteed the possibility of establishing Foundations. These bodies often manage rents and real estates. Their governing bodies should be renewed periodically. The Greek entrepreneur from Istanbul Lakis Vingas, a member of a Foundation linked to the local Greek Orthodox community also welcomes the initiative of the Turkish authorities, "The need to ensure certain rules and trasparent management was felt", says Virgas to Fides Agency "so that the Foundations are really put to the service of the community to which they relate and do not become an instrument of self-interest." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2013).
- 2013-05-08 ASIA/TURKEY - A "Turkish plan" for Syriac Christians?
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/TURKEY - Mass influx of Assyrian Christians fleeing the Syrian conflict
- 2013-03-08 ASIA/TURKEY - Block the election bodies that administer the Foundations linked to religious minorities
- 2013-02-27 ASIA/TURKEY - A Protestant Pastor expelled, another escaped an attack
- 2013-01-24 ASIA/TURKEY - The Turkish authorities restructure the Foundations linked to religious minorities
- 2013-01-04 ASIA/TURKEY - The campaign to regain the relics of St. Nicholas of Myra restarts
- 2012-12-18 ASIA/TURKEY - Catholic Bishops’ spokesman controverts the Turkish press on "Vatican Archives and the Armenian Issue"
- 2012-05-30 ASIA/TURKEY - Prime Minister Erdogan. "Abortion is murder, yes to the law to abolish it"
- 2012-05-10 ASIA/TURKEY - Distorted translation of the Gospel, to make it "close to Muslims"-Christians protest
- 2012-04-17 ASIA/TURKEY - The Churches: may the new Constitution be "like a mother who embraces all her children"