AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC- The government accuses the rebels of having resumed hostilities
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "Despite agreements in Libreville on 11 January, the coalition Seleka continues its march," said a statement from the Ministry of Defence of Central Africa, accusing the rebel groups of having captured the town of Kembé (south-central ) in the diamond area. After capturing the city the rebels, according to the authorities in Bangui, carried out acts of looting and aggression against civilians. The agreements of Libreville (Gabon), signed by President Bozizé and representatives of Seleka, a coalition of different guerrilla groups, provide the ceasefire and the creation of a government of national unity (see Fides 19/01/2013)
In the Country there continues to be a number of foreign military contingents. While France has announced that it intends to reduce its troops deployed in Bangui (600 men will be brought to about 200), in Central Africa, there are also African Forces of the Interposition (FOMAC, from 780 to 900 soldiers), the South African (about 250 soldiers deployed in the capital) and Ugandan chasing in the south-east of the Country, with the support of U.S. military advisers, the fighters of the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army). On January 18, in the eastern Central African Republic, near the border with South Sudan, the Ugandan military killed the chief bodyguard of Joseph Kony, the LRA leader. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam