EUROPE/ITALY - The percentage of children affected by leprosy and the stigma that still marginalizes the sick remains high
Bologna (Agenzia Fides) - On January 27, we celebrate the 60th World Day of Leprosy, established by the French physician Raoul Follereau and recognized by the UN to focus the attention of the world to the plight of leprosy and the stigma associated with it. According to statistics, every day in the world around 700 people get sick and at least that many every day, are cases not identified. In 2011 patients worldwide were 219,075, while the cases being treated until December 2011 amounted to 181,941. Among them, the percentage of children remains high. It really is not possible to determine exactly how many there are. An estimated 10 million people suffer the physical and social consequences of the disease which, although perfectly curable, still sees people that have been affected, although healed completely, as diverse and socially marginalized.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency, the Italian Association Friends of Raoul Follereau (AIFO), claims to have witnessed, in 2011, 344,002 persons affected by leprosy and 16,133 new cases were diagnosed. Also in 2011, the activities of AIFO related to leprosy reached 44,634 people, including former patients followed by the projects of the association and the people treated for complications related to the disease. On the occasion of World Day, this year thousands of volunteers of AIFO, which in 51 years has contributed to the care of more than one million leprosy patients, on Sunday, January 27 will offer in the Italian squares the "Honey of solidarity." (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2013)
- 2014-03-07 EUROPE/ITALY - A "Missionary Year": 100 years since the arrival of the first Orionini missionaries in Brazil
- 2014-03-05 EUROPE/ITALY - Father Lazzaro, "discreet martyr of charity"
- 2014-02-03 EUROPE/ITALY - Violence and injustice in the testimonies of the Roman missionaries
- 2013-12-17 EUROPE/ITALY - Immigrant minors: the number of young children has increased tenfold, mostly Syrians fleeing
- 2013-12-03 EUROPE/ITALY – Mgr. Melchior de Marion Brésillac, from India to Africa to carry out "nothing but the will of God"
- 2013-11-26 EUROPE/ITALY - Conclusion of the diocesan phase of the beatification process of Luisa Guidotti Mistrali, missionary doctor, killed in Rhodesia
- 2013-11-22 EUROPE/ITALY - "DROP by DROP": to ensure clean water to children in Rwanda
- 2013-11-21 EUROPE/ITALY - In Rome, a prayer vigil for peace in Syria and the release of the hostages
- 2013-11-20 EUROPE/ITALY - International Children’s day and the World Day of Prayer and Action for Children, and Youth in the World
- 2013-11-15 EUROPE/ITALY - Two centuries after the Reconstitution of the Society, the Jesuits look at the universal mission