AMERICA/MEXICO - Basic necessities for half of the families in Durango are lacking
Durango (Agenzia Fides) - Five families out of 10 in Durango, in northern Mexico, live in food poverty. Of the 203,000 families who do not have sufficient means to purchase basic necessities, partly because of the severe drought, 148,000 live in urban areas and 55,000 in rural areas. According to local offices for Social Development, the increase in food poverty is due to the lack of rain in 2012 and not a misapplication of social programs. According to the National Commission of Evaluation of Social Development Policy (Coneval), in 2008 352,000 people, 22% of the population of Durango, lived in food poverty, and in 2010 the figure dropped to 20.1%, or 328 000 inhabitants. In 2012, food poverty in Durango reached 48% of families, about 800 000 inhabitants. 220 000 inhabitants in rural communities have daily food problems. The increase in food prices has aggravated the situation. In addition, due to the lack of rain, 100 000 hectares of land have dried up. Durango is considered by the federal authority institution poorer than the north of Mexico. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"