AFRICA/CONGO DR - New Bishops' appeal: "release the three Assumptionist Fathers kidnapped in October"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The three Assumptionist Fathers who were kidnapped last October are still in the hands of their kidnappers. The National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) and, in particular, the Diocese of Beni-Butembo, continues to demand their release.
These priests have done nothing to deserve a similar fate. Those who hold them are asked to repent and release them to serve God." This is the appeal launched by the Bishops of the Democratic Republic of Congo, via a message posted on the website of the local Episcopal Conference, for the release of the three Assumptionist priests: Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute (see Fides 22/10/2012).
They were kidnapped on the evening of October 19 when they were in the parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres of Mbau, 22 km from Beni and 70 km from the episcopal see of Butembo (eastern DRC). Since then there has been no news about them. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2013)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs