AFRICA/CONGO DR - New Bishops' appeal: "release the three Assumptionist Fathers kidnapped in October"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The three Assumptionist Fathers who were kidnapped last October are still in the hands of their kidnappers. The National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) and, in particular, the Diocese of Beni-Butembo, continues to demand their release.
These priests have done nothing to deserve a similar fate. Those who hold them are asked to repent and release them to serve God." This is the appeal launched by the Bishops of the Democratic Republic of Congo, via a message posted on the website of the local Episcopal Conference, for the release of the three Assumptionist priests: Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute (see Fides 22/10/2012).
They were kidnapped on the evening of October 19 when they were in the parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres of Mbau, 22 km from Beni and 70 km from the episcopal see of Butembo (eastern DRC). Since then there has been no news about them. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23