AFRICA/CONGO DR - New Bishops' appeal: "release the three Assumptionist Fathers kidnapped in October"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The three Assumptionist Fathers who were kidnapped last October are still in the hands of their kidnappers. The National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) and, in particular, the Diocese of Beni-Butembo, continues to demand their release.
These priests have done nothing to deserve a similar fate. Those who hold them are asked to repent and release them to serve God." This is the appeal launched by the Bishops of the Democratic Republic of Congo, via a message posted on the website of the local Episcopal Conference, for the release of the three Assumptionist priests: Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute (see Fides 22/10/2012).
They were kidnapped on the evening of October 19 when they were in the parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres of Mbau, 22 km from Beni and 70 km from the episcopal see of Butembo (eastern DRC). Since then there has been no news about them. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2013)
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "President, reinforce the presence of the State" is what civil society in North Kivu asks Kabila
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still instability in North Kivu: new attacks against civilians
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Catholics and Anglicans together for peace in the Great Lakes
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23: a historic victory for the Congolese army
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/DR CONGO - The M23 surrenders but first bombards civilians, accuse local sources
- 2013-11-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23 seems likely but there are 40 other armed groups in North Kivu
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
- 2013-10-25 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed