AFRICA/CONGO DR - New Bishops' appeal: "release the three Assumptionist Fathers kidnapped in October"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The three Assumptionist Fathers who were kidnapped last October are still in the hands of their kidnappers. The National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) and, in particular, the Diocese of Beni-Butembo, continues to demand their release.
These priests have done nothing to deserve a similar fate. Those who hold them are asked to repent and release them to serve God." This is the appeal launched by the Bishops of the Democratic Republic of Congo, via a message posted on the website of the local Episcopal Conference, for the release of the three Assumptionist priests: Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute (see Fides 22/10/2012).
They were kidnapped on the evening of October 19 when they were in the parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres of Mbau, 22 km from Beni and 70 km from the episcopal see of Butembo (eastern DRC). Since then there has been no news about them. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2013)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years