AFRICA/CONGO DR - New Bishops' appeal: "release the three Assumptionist Fathers kidnapped in October"
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "The three Assumptionist Fathers who were kidnapped last October are still in the hands of their kidnappers. The National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) and, in particular, the Diocese of Beni-Butembo, continues to demand their release.
These priests have done nothing to deserve a similar fate. Those who hold them are asked to repent and release them to serve God." This is the appeal launched by the Bishops of the Democratic Republic of Congo, via a message posted on the website of the local Episcopal Conference, for the release of the three Assumptionist priests: Jean-Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute (see Fides 22/10/2012).
They were kidnapped on the evening of October 19 when they were in the parish of Notre-Dame des Pauvres of Mbau, 22 km from Beni and 70 km from the episcopal see of Butembo (eastern DRC). Since then there has been no news about them. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2013)
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue