AFRICA/MALI - The Bishops visit the wounded in the fighting; the Bishops' Conference gather up
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "The Bishops visited the wounded in the fighting in the hospitals in Bamako to offer moral and spiritual comfort" says to Fides Agency Don Edmond Dembele, Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Mali, which since yesterday gathered up to discuss the socio-political situation of the Country and, in particular, the humanitarian emergency.
"The bishops want to evaluate what the Church can further offer displaced persons and wounded, beyond what it is already doing," sresses Don Dembele.
In recent weeks, due to fighting between the French and Malian troups and jihadis rebels, several thousand people have fled their homes. Just today, the French and Malian military entered Diabali, the town about 400 km northeast of Bamako, which had been conquered by the rebels.
"I do not know the exact figures, but as far as the Malian refugees in neighboring Countries are concerned, we are talking about 200,000 to 300,000 people more than those who have long sought refuge abroad before the latest military operations. In the south of Mali displaced people who have been added to those who came before are tens of thousands, " says don Dembele.
"A representative of Caritas should be heard by the Bishops on the humanitarian situation in the Country," added the Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference. "After the meeting, the Bishops should release a message to the Catholic faithful and a final statement that summarizes their reflection on the situation of the Country," concluded Don Dembele. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2013)
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again
- 2013-02-12 AFRICA/MALI - Religious leaders consulted on the crisis of the Malian army
- 2013-02-04 AFRICA/MALI - The situation is improving but the crisis is not over; Bishop of Mopti’s appeal for the displaced
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/MALI - "The need to face the challenge of national reconciliation immediately" ask the Bishops
- 2013-01-28 AFRICA/MALI - The population of the cities liberated are celebrating
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Armed conflict exacerbates the already precarious country's education system
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Bishops’ appeal for prayer and solidarity, who today will be received by the Head of State
- 2013-01-23 AFRICA/MALI - Japan closes its embassy in Bamako, but there are no specific threats against foreigners