AFRICA/MALI - The Bishops visit the wounded in the fighting; the Bishops' Conference gather up
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "The Bishops visited the wounded in the fighting in the hospitals in Bamako to offer moral and spiritual comfort" says to Fides Agency Don Edmond Dembele, Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Mali, which since yesterday gathered up to discuss the socio-political situation of the Country and, in particular, the humanitarian emergency.
"The bishops want to evaluate what the Church can further offer displaced persons and wounded, beyond what it is already doing," sresses Don Dembele.
In recent weeks, due to fighting between the French and Malian troups and jihadis rebels, several thousand people have fled their homes. Just today, the French and Malian military entered Diabali, the town about 400 km northeast of Bamako, which had been conquered by the rebels.
"I do not know the exact figures, but as far as the Malian refugees in neighboring Countries are concerned, we are talking about 200,000 to 300,000 people more than those who have long sought refuge abroad before the latest military operations. In the south of Mali displaced people who have been added to those who came before are tens of thousands, " says don Dembele.
"A representative of Caritas should be heard by the Bishops on the humanitarian situation in the Country," added the Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference. "After the meeting, the Bishops should release a message to the Catholic faithful and a final statement that summarizes their reflection on the situation of the Country," concluded Don Dembele. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - The peace agreement signed in a climate of emotion and conviviality
- 2015-05-25 - Despite the latest violence, one hopes in the talks in Algiers in order to reach peace
- 2015-05-06 - President of the Episcopal Conference:"Mali wants peace, Muslims have suffered the violence of the jihadists"
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process