AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Christmas truce has ended, the Church asks to stop the violence and continue the dialogue
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday, Sunday, January 20, the ceasefire declared at Christmas 2012 between the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) and the government of Juan Manuel Santos came to an end. The Secretary of the Episcopal Conference, His Exc. Mgr. José Daniel Falla, asked the FARC leaders taking part in the dialogue with the Colombian government in Cuba, to continue the truce.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol, Colombia, Mgr. Falla said: "Those who they claim to defend, namely civilians, are ultimately the ones who suffer. There is a contradiction in the way they act. Now that they are sitting at the negotiating table and have good intentions, they must express the arguments they have, and not act with force." From the same source we learn that the Catholic Church is willing to respond to President Santos’ call so that priests and Bishops contribute to the negotiation process with the FARC.
In November last year (see Fides 20/11/2012) a unilateral ceasefire for Christmas, from midnight Tuesday, 20 November 2012 to 20 January 2013 was announced by the FARC. The statement stressed "the cessation of all kinds of offensive military operations against the security forces, and acts of sabotage against public or private facilities." Unfortunately, this truce, however, was not observed. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/01/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors