AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - On 21 January, the Dominican Republic celebrates the Feast of Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia. In the particular context of this month dedicated to Our Lady and the Year of Faith, the Catholic Bishops' Conference offers a broad reflection of the national community with the pastoral Letter entitled "Stand firm in faith" (1 Cor 16:13), dated January 21, of which a copy was sent to Fides Agency.
"This year’s slogan for the National Pastoral Plan, which states: 'With faith and fellowship we build the community', invites us to build and develop communities and families in fraternity and in a solid faith" says the 14-page letter. The Bishops, after the Holy Father's invitation to live the Year of Faith in the family, draws attention to the deteriorating situation of families and the increase of crime, insecurity, drug trafficking. They also speak of the public and private corruption, gambling and alcoholism which are on the rise, and even the individualistic search of easy money and consumerism.
The pastoral Letter urges then vigorously to combat violence in the family and against women, invites us to restart the values of family union, faith, love and optimism. "We urge people to appreciate and respect our women, who are our wives, daughters, sisters, mothers, aunts, cousins, grandmothers; our women who are workers, fighters, entrepreneurs and committed to the values. We must pray to God who gives us faith as a gift, which leads us to the research and experience of attitudes that strengthen family life," the document concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/01/2013)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference