AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - On 21 January, the Dominican Republic celebrates the Feast of Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia. In the particular context of this month dedicated to Our Lady and the Year of Faith, the Catholic Bishops' Conference offers a broad reflection of the national community with the pastoral Letter entitled "Stand firm in faith" (1 Cor 16:13), dated January 21, of which a copy was sent to Fides Agency.
"This year’s slogan for the National Pastoral Plan, which states: 'With faith and fellowship we build the community', invites us to build and develop communities and families in fraternity and in a solid faith" says the 14-page letter. The Bishops, after the Holy Father's invitation to live the Year of Faith in the family, draws attention to the deteriorating situation of families and the increase of crime, insecurity, drug trafficking. They also speak of the public and private corruption, gambling and alcoholism which are on the rise, and even the individualistic search of easy money and consumerism.
The pastoral Letter urges then vigorously to combat violence in the family and against women, invites us to restart the values of family union, faith, love and optimism. "We urge people to appreciate and respect our women, who are our wives, daughters, sisters, mothers, aunts, cousins, grandmothers; our women who are workers, fighters, entrepreneurs and committed to the values. We must pray to God who gives us faith as a gift, which leads us to the research and experience of attitudes that strengthen family life," the document concludes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/01/2013)
- 2014-02-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC- Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - At least 850 suspected cases of dengue in the north of the Country