AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The first indigenous Bishop consecrated in Santa Cruz: a man born, raised and formed in this land
Santa Cruz (Agenzia Fides) - The Cathedral was filled with the faithful for the celebration of the Eucharist in which Cardinal Julio Terrazas, Archbishop of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, ordained Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese, Mgr. René Leigue Cesari, the first indigenous of East Bolivian called to this ministry. In his homily, Cardinal Terrazas called Monsignor René Leigue "son" and "friend", thanked him for accepting this mission despite the doubts and human weakness, and reminded him that the mission of Bishops is to be ministers of unity and witnesses of truth.
According to a note of the archdiocese sent to Fides Agency, the solemn rite, celebrated on January 16, was attended by the Archbishop of Santa Cruz, Cardinal Julio Terrazas, also His Exc. Mgr. Sergio Gualberti, Archbishop coadjutor, the auxiliary Bishops, priests, deacons and pastoral workers. Also His Exc. Mgr. Giambattista Diquattro, Apostolic Nuncio, and about fifteen Bishops from all over the country were present.
After 50 years of priesthood and 34 of Episcopal ministry, Cardinal Julio Terrazas said he was especially pleased to ordain Bishop of Santa Cruz, a man born, raised and formed in this land, then added: "I thank God that we can have a reliable guide for the people, a word of encouragement in all circumstances, and a friendly presence, a presence that encourages all ... who leads us to announce the ability that our people have to be able to receive God, to love and to say with clarity and courage to all those who ask us, why we believe, celebrate, what we live every day." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/01/2013)
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying