AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishop of Buenaventura: "Solving the problem of violence with social investment"
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Colombian Diocese of Buenaventura, His Exc. Mgr. Héctor Epalza Quintero P.S.S., called on the authorities to solve the problem of violence afflicting the country by not using palliatives, but with "social investment". The repeated acts of violence cause worry, fear and terror in the population of Buenaventura, and although in recent days other elements of the security forces have arrived, the Bishop points out that this is not enough, because in this region extortion, threats, fights continue , and there are places that are forbidden even to the police.
"The Church works for the proclamation and the complaint, in order to live in peace," said the Archbishop, according to reports from the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia. Mgr. Epalza Quintero calls upon the population of Buenaventura to defend life, noting that "this task begins in the family, which is the first school, and where there should be no violence. We must be agents of life, respectful of people, diversity and the environment."
In 2013, only in Buenaventura there have been 23 deaths, including 10 in the massacre on January 12 in a rural area. According to data collected by Fides, is still an open fight between gangs for the control of Buenaventura, the main port of Colombia, considered strategic by drug traffickers. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2013)
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"