AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishop of Buenaventura: "Solving the problem of violence with social investment"
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Colombian Diocese of Buenaventura, His Exc. Mgr. Héctor Epalza Quintero P.S.S., called on the authorities to solve the problem of violence afflicting the country by not using palliatives, but with "social investment". The repeated acts of violence cause worry, fear and terror in the population of Buenaventura, and although in recent days other elements of the security forces have arrived, the Bishop points out that this is not enough, because in this region extortion, threats, fights continue , and there are places that are forbidden even to the police.
"The Church works for the proclamation and the complaint, in order to live in peace," said the Archbishop, according to reports from the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia. Mgr. Epalza Quintero calls upon the population of Buenaventura to defend life, noting that "this task begins in the family, which is the first school, and where there should be no violence. We must be agents of life, respectful of people, diversity and the environment."
In 2013, only in Buenaventura there have been 23 deaths, including 10 in the massacre on January 12 in a rural area. According to data collected by Fides, is still an open fight between gangs for the control of Buenaventura, the main port of Colombia, considered strategic by drug traffickers. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2013)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"