AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishop of Buenaventura: "Solving the problem of violence with social investment"
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Colombian Diocese of Buenaventura, His Exc. Mgr. Héctor Epalza Quintero P.S.S., called on the authorities to solve the problem of violence afflicting the country by not using palliatives, but with "social investment". The repeated acts of violence cause worry, fear and terror in the population of Buenaventura, and although in recent days other elements of the security forces have arrived, the Bishop points out that this is not enough, because in this region extortion, threats, fights continue , and there are places that are forbidden even to the police.
"The Church works for the proclamation and the complaint, in order to live in peace," said the Archbishop, according to reports from the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia. Mgr. Epalza Quintero calls upon the population of Buenaventura to defend life, noting that "this task begins in the family, which is the first school, and where there should be no violence. We must be agents of life, respectful of people, diversity and the environment."
In 2013, only in Buenaventura there have been 23 deaths, including 10 in the massacre on January 12 in a rural area. According to data collected by Fides, is still an open fight between gangs for the control of Buenaventura, the main port of Colombia, considered strategic by drug traffickers. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation