AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishop of Buenaventura: "Solving the problem of violence with social investment"
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Colombian Diocese of Buenaventura, His Exc. Mgr. Héctor Epalza Quintero P.S.S., called on the authorities to solve the problem of violence afflicting the country by not using palliatives, but with "social investment". The repeated acts of violence cause worry, fear and terror in the population of Buenaventura, and although in recent days other elements of the security forces have arrived, the Bishop points out that this is not enough, because in this region extortion, threats, fights continue , and there are places that are forbidden even to the police.
"The Church works for the proclamation and the complaint, in order to live in peace," said the Archbishop, according to reports from the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia. Mgr. Epalza Quintero calls upon the population of Buenaventura to defend life, noting that "this task begins in the family, which is the first school, and where there should be no violence. We must be agents of life, respectful of people, diversity and the environment."
In 2013, only in Buenaventura there have been 23 deaths, including 10 in the massacre on January 12 in a rural area. According to data collected by Fides, is still an open fight between gangs for the control of Buenaventura, the main port of Colombia, considered strategic by drug traffickers. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA –"Schools of reconciliation" are born: initiative of the Church for young people
- 2014-04-09 - Respect for human rights for the victims of landmines
- 2014-04-03 - Indigenous children continue to die of hunger and chronic malnutrition
- 2014-03-31 - First study on hidden child victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-03-31 - Peace talks: conclusion of the 22nd session
- 2014-02-27 - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger