AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Bishop of Buenaventura: "Solving the problem of violence with social investment"
Buenaventura (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Colombian Diocese of Buenaventura, His Exc. Mgr. Héctor Epalza Quintero P.S.S., called on the authorities to solve the problem of violence afflicting the country by not using palliatives, but with "social investment". The repeated acts of violence cause worry, fear and terror in the population of Buenaventura, and although in recent days other elements of the security forces have arrived, the Bishop points out that this is not enough, because in this region extortion, threats, fights continue , and there are places that are forbidden even to the police.
"The Church works for the proclamation and the complaint, in order to live in peace," said the Archbishop, according to reports from the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia. Mgr. Epalza Quintero calls upon the population of Buenaventura to defend life, noting that "this task begins in the family, which is the first school, and where there should be no violence. We must be agents of life, respectful of people, diversity and the environment."
In 2013, only in Buenaventura there have been 23 deaths, including 10 in the massacre on January 12 in a rural area. According to data collected by Fides, is still an open fight between gangs for the control of Buenaventura, the main port of Colombia, considered strategic by drug traffickers. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors