ASIA/PAKISTAN - A Minister offends the Pope, the Christians want an official apology
Islamabad (Agenzia Fides) - Pakistani Christians protest with the Minister of Interior, Rehman Malik, that "offended the Pope and should give an official apology": In the context of political tensions related to the massive anti-corruption movement, led by the Islamic leader Tahirul Qadri - who has led thousands of people to the streets of Islamabad - meshes also a controversy among Christians of Pakistan and the government. Minister Malik, in fact, personality known for his frequent use of ironic tones, compared provocatively Qadri to the Pope, calling him "for his hat and his political aims."
"The link is useless and wrong: the Pope has no political ambitions. These statements defame the Papacy office. We demand an official apology from Rehman Malik, who has a task of great institutional responsibility," said to Fides Fr. Emmanuel Yousaf, Director of the National Commission "Justice and Peace", pointing out that "Christians in Pakistan have always been known for the support of democracy and human rights." Even the Christian Senator Kamran Michael, in a note sent to Fides, has condemned the words of the Minister who "hurt the feelings of the Christian community", asking for immediate clarification. According to the senator, such words "are disrespectful and can undermine efforts for religious harmony and brotherhood in the country." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2013)
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Damage to the church and bishop wounded in the attack in Quetta
- 2013-05-13 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Church: "Democracy strengthens: constructive dialogue with the new Premier"
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Bishops' Appeal for the elections: "Vote for those who promote harmony"
- 2013-05-08 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Threats to a Christian NGO committed to a transparent policy and the participation of women
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Every year, 87,000 children die from preventable diseases
- 2013-04-22 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas in Quetta to help the earthquake victims in Baluchistan
- 2013-04-18 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian youth killed by a Muslim after a fight: the police is covering the murderer
- 2013-04-18 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Terrorist attacks against candidates and political parties: Christians' appeal for democracy
- 2013-04-13 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Commission for National Harmony: death penalty for the false accusations of blasphemy
- 2013-04-08 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Blasphemy: it is urgent to defend the Christians from summary executions and to protect minorities