AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "Do not kill": the Apostolic Administrator of Izabal invites the community not to take the law into their hands
Puerto Barrios (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Mario Enrique Rios Mont, CM, Apostolic Administrator of the Apostolic Vicariate of Izabal in Guatemala, has strongly condemned the behavior of the community of Puerto Barrios, that lynched two thieves caught stealing after they had been arrested for theft and the next day released. "This attitude is contrary to the law of God that clearly says not to kill," says the Bishop’s text, sent to Fides Agency. "The Vicariate is engaged in the permanent Continental Mission - he continues - so hopefully this period is an opportunity for repentance and conversion for a better quality of personal, family and social life. One cannot live a worthy life killing his brother."
Later Mgr. Rios states: "We call on the authorities to proceed with the necessary investigation and to administer justice." Then he continues: "we invite all the communities of the Vicariate: Castellas, Garifunas and Q'eqchies, to refrain from taking the law into their own hands. As a Church we must seek the path of dialogue to resolve the problems."
According to local media, the story dates back to the year 2012: two people were stopped by the community of Puerto Barrios and handed over to the police for stealing in the area. For unknown reasons, these people were released the next day. Despite the warnings of the community, they committed the crime again, beating up a merchant, so the crowd took the law into their own hands. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/01/2013)
- 2014-02-12 - "Life is not respected any more in the country" alarm of the Church in the fight against drug trafficking
- 2014-02-03 - Everyone must commit themselves for peace and social justice
- 2013-10-23 - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
- 2013-10-02 - Over two thousand children are HIV-positive
- 2013-08-29 - Ensuring food and health care to mothers in the early months of pregnancy to prevent born babies to die of hunger
- 2013-08-08 - 4 villages of ethnic Q'eqchi are isolated due to severe floods, the Church intervenes
- 2013-07-31 - Epidemic dengue due to the contagion of 3,700 people and the death of 2 children
- 2013-07-05 - 6,707 children under five years of age suffer from acute malnutrition and risk death
- 2013-05-06 - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds