AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "Do not kill": the Apostolic Administrator of Izabal invites the community not to take the law into their hands
Puerto Barrios (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Mario Enrique Rios Mont, CM, Apostolic Administrator of the Apostolic Vicariate of Izabal in Guatemala, has strongly condemned the behavior of the community of Puerto Barrios, that lynched two thieves caught stealing after they had been arrested for theft and the next day released. "This attitude is contrary to the law of God that clearly says not to kill," says the Bishop’s text, sent to Fides Agency. "The Vicariate is engaged in the permanent Continental Mission - he continues - so hopefully this period is an opportunity for repentance and conversion for a better quality of personal, family and social life. One cannot live a worthy life killing his brother."
Later Mgr. Rios states: "We call on the authorities to proceed with the necessary investigation and to administer justice." Then he continues: "we invite all the communities of the Vicariate: Castellas, Garifunas and Q'eqchies, to refrain from taking the law into their own hands. As a Church we must seek the path of dialogue to resolve the problems."
According to local media, the story dates back to the year 2012: two people were stopped by the community of Puerto Barrios and handed over to the police for stealing in the area. For unknown reasons, these people were released the next day. Despite the warnings of the community, they committed the crime again, beating up a merchant, so the crowd took the law into their own hands. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/01/2013)
- 2015-06-01 - Thousands are demanding the resignation of the President accused of corruption
- 2015-04-27 - We cannot forget the figure of Mgr. Juan Gerardi, who fought for a different Guatemala
- 2015-01-29 - A reception center for HIV children
- 2015-01-22 - Niños de Paz project to protect thousands of refugees and displaced children
- 2014-11-12 - To strengthen missionary commitment in spite of violence in the country and people's indifference
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis
- 2014-09-25 - Violence does not stop due to a mega project in the indigenous territories: 11 dead and several wounded
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment