AFRICA/MALAWI - There is lack of food, water and health care for the people affected by the floods
Zomba (Agenzia Fides) – In Mwambo, in the district of Zomba, in Malawi, 641 families have been left homeless and their corn plantations have been destroyed caused by the overflowing of the river Phalombe, due to the heavy rains that have been hitting the country. The villages most affected are Group Village Heads Magoli and Kathebwe, along the border between the districts of Zomba and Phalombe, a few kilometers away from lake Chilwa. About 268 acres of corn fields and red pepper have been swept away by the waters that destroyed a dam built last year by local residents to prevent flooding. If it continues to rain the rest of the dam could also collapse. The displaced people have found shelter at the Step to Jesus Church in Zomba. Aid is urgently needed for the victims. There is no health care, drinking water, clothing, bedding and food. The rains have severely damaged areas of Malawi, where three people have died so far in addition to about 5,000 who have lost everything. The government has launched a relief operation to the affected districts distributing food, blankets and plastic sheeting. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/01/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - Appeal of "Justice and Peace" to international donors: "Do not abandon us in time of need"
- 2014-12-06 - “Corruption scandal consequences ever more serious” missionary says
- 2014-12-03 - AFRICA/MALAWI – The dream of a nation free of the nightmare of AIDS
- 2014-11-12 - "People are dying due to lack of medicine, external aid blocked because of Cashgate": alarm launched by the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-11-10 - "Without outside help the Country is collapsing", says a missionary
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President