AMERICA/MEXICO - "We must stop the killing of innocent people": Bishop Vera Lopez’s appeal after the death of a student
Saltillo (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico, His Exc. Mgr. Raúl Vera López, denounced that, because of the number of deaths due to violence, a real scandal of the country, it is necessary that security forces correct their strategies to prevent further murders of innocent people.
According to the letter sent to Fides Agency, the Bishop stressed the need for greater preparation of the police force, after the death of the student Adrián González Villarreal, 20 years of age, seriously wounded by the municipal police of the State of Nuevo Leon, it seems he was killed by mistake, on Saturday, January 12. According to the local press, in fact, two men of the city police were called to intervene in a firefight. When they arrived, however, they confused the criminals’ car with that of the student, who was standing still and in his girlfriend’s company. The police then fired, injuring the student, who then died in hospital, and his girlfriend, is still hospitalized. Authorities have launched an internal investigation.
Mgr. Vera López also criticized the way with which the police use weapons, which is causing an international scandal in this war against criminals in Mexico. In the state of Nuevo Leon at least 12 students were killed in the last three years in various acts of violence, because they are targets of criminals or hit by stray bullets. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2013)
- 2013-06-17 AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
- 2013-06-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - The disarmament campaign continues with the help of the Church: More than 5000 weapons recovered
- 2013-06-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Filing immigrants is a shame", denounces Fr. Solalinde
- 2013-06-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "One cannot live in fear": the Bishops of Michoacan ask for everyone’s commitment
- 2013-06-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prayers for the truce between Honduran gangs in Mexico
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - 2 migrants who had denounced extortion have been killed, the Church asks for protection
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women