AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - On the crisis and the tensions that are registered at the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic "only the governments on both sides, Dominican and Haiti, can find a solution to the present impasse" and should do so "without any interference": This is what is said, in a letter sent to Fides Agency, by Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, speaking on the issue of the Haitian group who have been blocked for a week at the border.
The Archbishop remarks that neither the ambassadors nor foreign governments, priests or non-governmental organizations can interfere in a matter that concerns only government authorities, pointing out that "it is up to the Dominican government to establish its own immigration policy." "It is an old matter," said the Archbishop. "I understand that it is necessary to ask the Haitian government to collaborate on the regularity of citizens’ documents at the Dominican border."
According to information collected by Fides, the President of the Dominican Republic, Danilo Medina, convened a meeting with his officials to deal with the crisis of the border where, for nearly a week, thousands of undocumented Haitians have tried to enter the Dominican Republic. The situation on the border has become very tense, and in Oanaminthe, a city in the territory of Haiti, the Dominican consulate had to close down because of the constant threats to employees, who do not grant a visa to be able to travel to the neighboring country. Every year, thousands of Haitians enter the Dominican Republic to try to leave for other destinations, both in South America and Europe. Many immigrants are working in the agricultural field. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/01/2013)
- 2014-02-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC- Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - At least 850 suspected cases of dengue in the north of the Country