AMERICA/MEXICO - New attacks against migrants in Chiapas: the complaint of Catholics
Ciudad Ixtepec (Agenzia Fides) - In the early days of 2013, new aggression and violence is registered against migrants in Chiapas: the complaint, through Fides Agency, made by the "Casa del Migrante Hermanos en el Camino", Catholic structure of reception and assistance on the eve of the 99th World Day of Migrants and Refugees, which is celebrated tomorrow, January 13, 2013, on the theme "Migration: a pilgrimage of faith and hope." The Catholic communities in Mexico, responding to Pope Benedict XVI’s invitation, reaffirm their commitment to work for migrants, but report "serious situations". Father Alejandro Solalinde Guerra, head of the "Casa del Migrante" will present a complaint to the authorities of Chiapas for the new violence against Central American migrants. According to the note sent to Fides, the attacks occurred in Coita, Arriaga and near Tapachula, in Chiapas, on behalf of the police and other people.
"As first point – explains Fr. Solalinde Guerra – it is urgent to stop feminicide, and organize a social movement to defend women. We must also recognize that in the past there was a systematic elimination of migrants: we do not want justice, but we want to know the truth about mass graves of immigrants in states such as Veracruz. We want to know where they are, how many and who are missing. "
In Mexico, on the occasion of the World Day of Migrants, many organizations have signed a statement calling for the protection of migrants' rights. Father Solalinde Guerra received the National Prize for Human Rights in 2012. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/01/2013)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty is treated with a supportive economy
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - Four priests lose their lives in a tragic accident