AMERICA/PANAMA - Bishops denounce the "growing social disillusionment " and propose public education as a basis for development
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Panama have expressed their concerns about the "growing social disillusionment, consequence of the increase of stress, aggression, fear, political tension and an impairment loss of life": these are the words of the statement of the Ordinary Annual Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Panama (CEP), gathered in Panama from 7 to 11 January 2013.
The document, sent to Fides Agency, is divided into 2 parts. The first is dedicated to the ecclesial reality, and the new direction of the CEP and the scenario that held the two great celebrations of the Year of Faith and the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the first diocese in the continent (see Fides 28/11/2012; 30/11/2012) are presented. The second part, on the national reality, presents the country's economic development, combined, unfortunately, "to unwise decisions, the lack of dialogue that led to serious consequences, the broken promises, the lack of credibility, lack of values and corruption in society."
Before the new political experience that the country will live, the Bishops point out that "the signing of the Ethics Electoral Pact ... requires the candidate to provide government plans and programs, to be calm in the discussions, always with respect for people and their ideas. In addition involves all citizens and civil society organizations to responsibly exercise their civic participation. " The Bishops finally suggest putting public education at the basis of any social program and a priority for the State, because "education is the best tool to achieve real development and to overcome social and cultural gaps that still separate the Panamanians." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/01/2013)
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
- 2014-05-22 - On a mission in the vulnerable suburbs of society: migrants, itinerant people, displaced ...
- 2014-04-30 - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2014-04-15 - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
- 2014-02-14 - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities