AMERICA/PANAMA - Bishops denounce the "growing social disillusionment " and propose public education as a basis for development
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Panama have expressed their concerns about the "growing social disillusionment, consequence of the increase of stress, aggression, fear, political tension and an impairment loss of life": these are the words of the statement of the Ordinary Annual Assembly of the Episcopal Conference of Panama (CEP), gathered in Panama from 7 to 11 January 2013.
The document, sent to Fides Agency, is divided into 2 parts. The first is dedicated to the ecclesial reality, and the new direction of the CEP and the scenario that held the two great celebrations of the Year of Faith and the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the first diocese in the continent (see Fides 28/11/2012; 30/11/2012) are presented. The second part, on the national reality, presents the country's economic development, combined, unfortunately, "to unwise decisions, the lack of dialogue that led to serious consequences, the broken promises, the lack of credibility, lack of values and corruption in society."
Before the new political experience that the country will live, the Bishops point out that "the signing of the Ethics Electoral Pact ... requires the candidate to provide government plans and programs, to be calm in the discussions, always with respect for people and their ideas. In addition involves all citizens and civil society organizations to responsibly exercise their civic participation. " The Bishops finally suggest putting public education at the basis of any social program and a priority for the State, because "education is the best tool to achieve real development and to overcome social and cultural gaps that still separate the Panamanians." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/01/2013)
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" text to defend democracy, mutual respect is ready
- 2013-01-11 AMERICA/PANAMA - Bishops denounce the "growing social disillusionment " and propose public education as a basis for development
- 2012-12-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Catholic Church mediates between firemen and government authorities
- 2012-12-03 AMERICA/PANAMA - Archbishop Ulloa is the new President of SEDAC
- 2012-11-30 AMERICA/PANAMA - The 500th anniversary of the first diocese: Cardinal Ouellet meets with the President of Panama; Santa Maria La Antigua’s story on the web
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PANAMA - Meeting of the Bishops of Central America, today the opening of the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the first diocese
- 2012-11-07 AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens