ASIA/BANGLADESH - Extreme poverty forces children to leave school in order to find a job
Dhaka (Agenzia Fides) - Education penalized by poverty. This is the situation for almost 50% of elementary school students in Bangladesh who are forced by the overwhelming poverty to leave school before completing fifth grade and get a job. Only a small proportion of the labor force, 0.4%, receives a professional, technical preparation, and is paid with very low wages. The situation is particularly serious for street children in the country who come from urban slums and work illegally, 10 to 12 hours a day, for 20/30 taka (about 0:32 dollars). A report of the Bengali statistics office revealed that 5.8 million children between the ages of 10 and 14 work in the "informal" sector, that is not regulated by rules or contracts, which includes 11.3% of the total workforce. These little ones are not in condition to attend school or receive professional formation. With the help of local programs, designed to take advantage of the skills and potential of poor youngsters, at least 45 000 students between 15 and 18 years of age are about to graduate and will be employed in decent jobs, with an initial salary of 5,000 taka (62 dollars) a month. More than 140 000 young graduates through one of these programs have already found a permanent job. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 11/01/2013)
- 2015-08-27 - ASIA/BANGLADESH – Blogger killings: religious minorities are even in danger
- 2015-08-06 - Child labor: illegal but cheap in a Country with 8 million working children
- 2015-07-09 - Risking their lives to escape poverty
- 2015-07-07 - The Bishops: the encyclical Laudato Si’ is important for the faithful and for the country
- 2015-03-25 - Economic incentives for pregnant women and children under 5 years of age
- 2014-07-30 - A new Youth Centre of the Salesians of Don Bosco has been inaugurated
- 2014-05-05 - First nuclear power plant in the country?
- 2014-04-25 - An interactive documentary explores the living hell in Bangladesh's clothing industry
- 2014-02-17 - Jubilee of the mission in Pathorghata, "the port of stones"
- 2014-01-15 - Post- election violence: "Christians are not being targeted", says the Archbishop of Dhaka