AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church also participates in the campaign for disarmament in the capital
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "Even the Catholic Church participates in a concrete way to the initiatives regarding the research of peace and tranquility in the capital," said the Archbishop of Mexico, Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, inaugurating in the atrium of the Basilica of Guadalupe the stand for the disarmament ("despistolización") of the Government of the Federal District (GDF), which will remain open until January 18. The initiative to exchange firearms with tablets, containers with foodstuff or cash, began on Tuesday, January 8, in the presence of Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, head of the GDF, Miguel Angel Mancera, and other public officials.
In addition to participating in this program of disarmament, Cardinal Rivera Carrera said that the Archdiocese of Mexico operates in several key social programs for the population of the capital. "The Church is no stranger to moments of violence in which we live," said the Cardinal, for this reason the Church adheres to these programs promoted by the GDF, and reiterated collaboration with local authorities "not only in the Shrine of Guadalupe, but throughout the Archdiocese."
In his speech, the head of GDF stressed the importance of this campaign for the capital, with the peaceful delivery of weapons that many people have in their homes, and in the atrium of the Shrine of Guadalupe. "I must stress the symbolic importance of this place where we are today, and the commitment of the representatives of the Church," said Miguel Angel Mancera. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013)
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty is treated with a supportive economy
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - Four priests lose their lives in a tragic accident
- 2013-04-26 AMERICA/MEXICO - Drug addiction, HIV, salmonella, tuberculosis: street children’s health at risk