ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: the influx of refugees from Syria threatens to destabilize the country
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The hospitality towards refugees fleeing from the war-torn Syria is a meritorious act that must be encouraged. But with the relentless rise in the number of refugees, the dangers of political stability and social order "that Lebanon is not able to support" also increase. So yesterday, in the usual monthly meeting convened at the patriarchal seat in Bkerké, the Synod of Maronite Bishops took note of the anxiety that the country is facing, whose fragile balances are put to the test by the economic crisis and the effects of the civil war in neighboring Syria. The Maronite Bishops also expressed the hope that the political parties reach a profitable and widely shared agreement by launching a new electoral law.
In the final communiqué, sent to Fides Agency, everyone is reminded to serve peace in that part of the world - the Middle East - "that God chose to reveal the mystery of salvation and redemption." The Bishops express concern "for the daily rise in the number of refugees, among them the presence of Palestinians."
The Synodal statement hopes that the parliamentary commission finds a solution to ensure effective equality and equality in the representation of all members of the Lebanese people. According to Lebanese sources, in a meeting held last Sunday always in Bkerké, the various political Christian forces - currently divided and linked to opposing coalitions - have reached a consensus on the draft electoral law proposed by the "Orthodox rassemblement", according to which citizens should vote for candidates belonging to their respective faiths. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013).
- 2015-03-03 - Former General Aoun: let us welcome Christians fleeing Syria
- 2015-02-23 - Syrian-Catholic Patriarch opens centenary commemoration of the Assyrian genocide
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/LEBANON – Maronite Patriarch says: the return of Hariri is a positive fact for the Lebanese nation
- 2015-02-10 - Maronite Archbishop Matar: Lebanon must adopt a strategy to distance itself from regional conflicts
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces