ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: the influx of refugees from Syria threatens to destabilize the country
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The hospitality towards refugees fleeing from the war-torn Syria is a meritorious act that must be encouraged. But with the relentless rise in the number of refugees, the dangers of political stability and social order "that Lebanon is not able to support" also increase. So yesterday, in the usual monthly meeting convened at the patriarchal seat in Bkerké, the Synod of Maronite Bishops took note of the anxiety that the country is facing, whose fragile balances are put to the test by the economic crisis and the effects of the civil war in neighboring Syria. The Maronite Bishops also expressed the hope that the political parties reach a profitable and widely shared agreement by launching a new electoral law.
In the final communiqué, sent to Fides Agency, everyone is reminded to serve peace in that part of the world - the Middle East - "that God chose to reveal the mystery of salvation and redemption." The Bishops express concern "for the daily rise in the number of refugees, among them the presence of Palestinians."
The Synodal statement hopes that the parliamentary commission finds a solution to ensure effective equality and equality in the representation of all members of the Lebanese people. According to Lebanese sources, in a meeting held last Sunday always in Bkerké, the various political Christian forces - currently divided and linked to opposing coalitions - have reached a consensus on the draft electoral law proposed by the "Orthodox rassemblement", according to which citizens should vote for candidates belonging to their respective faiths. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013).
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: national sovereignty is under attack
- 2013-12-03 ASIA/LEBANON - Abouna.org awarded as best Arab Christian website
- 2013-11-21 ASIA/LEBANON – NourKids is born: the Christian Arab TV channel for children
- 2013-11-19 ASIA/LEBANON - Suicide bombing in Beirut. Father Karam: sectarian violence is plaguing the Middle East
- 2013-11-18 ASIA/LEBANON - President Sleiman: Christians in the Middle East do not follow the theories regarding "alliance among minorities "
- 2013-10-15 ASIA/LEBANON - Houses for Muslims built on the lands belonging to Christians. Sectarian balance at risk
- 2013-09-11 ASIA/LEBANON - Non-violence, reconciliation and peace: Operazione Colomba begins for Syrian refugees
- 2013-08-08 ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: The Country must remain neutral
- 2013-07-23 ASIA/LEBANON - More Syrian children are expected than Lebanese for the next school year in Lebanon
- 2013-07-15 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: sectarian militias will lead the country to ruin