AFRICA/KENYA - New massacres in the Tana Delta, concern for the hundreds of thousands of weapons in circulation
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - At least 11 people were killed in the village of Kibusu, in the region of the Tana Delta, in Kenya, in an attack carried out at dawn today, January 10. Among the victims were five children. The attackers burned down 19 houses and several victims died in the flames. According to authorities, it seems there was a retaliation for the death of 10 people who were killed in the village of Nduru January 9.
In the area there have been contrasts for years between the Pokomo, farmers, and the Orma, semi-nomadic shepherds, for the division of land and water sources, but in recent months tensions have escalated into mutual armed assaults. The last massacre that took place in the region in 2012 and caused 30 deaths (see Fides 21/12/2012). In Kenya it is suspected that there are politicians that feed the violence in view of presidential, parliamentary and local elections in 2013.
The large number of light weapons in circulation in the country favors the possibility to conduct deadly attacks. According to the Kenya National Focal Point on Small Arms and Light Weapons, a coordination agency against the proliferation of illegal weapons placed under the protection of the President’s Office, are between 530,000 and 680,000firearms illegally detained in Kenya, including many military weapons, such as AK47 (Kalashnikov) guns from Somalia and other countries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013)
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights