AMERICA/CHILE - "The situation of indigenous peoples requires the remedy of centuries of marginalization and injustice": Bishops on Mapuche
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops members of the Standing Committee of the Episcopal Conference of Chile expressed their "deep concern" about the conflict that the village of La Araucanía is experiencing and stressed the importance of taking concrete measures to end the violence "with deep respect for human life and the dignity of persons."
In the statement entitled "Blessed are those who work for peace", sent to Fides Agency, together with the need to recognize the culture of the Mapuche people, the Bishops express their confidence "in the authorities, the representatives of society and the community, so that they channel these desires, welcoming the contribution of all, adopting the best decisions and giving always preference to respect and dialogue as a means of resolution to the conflicts."
The declaration, which affirms the full co-operation to this end, concludes that "this protracted situation of indigenous peoples, requires the remedy of centuries of marginalization and injustice." Just yesterday, Wednesday, January 9, the Bishop of Temuco, His Exc. Mgr. Manuel Camilo Vial, had spoken to the national press to warn them that "at the moment there is extreme violence and fear everywhere. The Mapuche people were treated badly for a long time. I have been in Temuco for 12 years and I have always said that Chile has an open challenge with the Mapuche people, and should be considered in the Constitution. Violent people are not part of the Mapuche." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013)
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/CHILE - "Chile has a debt with the Mapuche community," said Msg. Vial in his greetings to the community
- 2013-05-18 AMERICA/CHILE - "Candidates need to impress people with a real project," said the Bishop of Rancagua
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/CHILE - Family, education, entrepreneurship: Pastoral Letter to the Chilean politicians in view of the presidential elections
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/CHILE - "Family, public education and well-paid job," the concern of the Church
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/CHILE - Less Catholics in the country, "a fact that cannot leave us indifferent," says the Church
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/CHILE - Education should become a benefit for everyone is what the Bishop of Rancagua hopes
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/CHILE - The Community of Santiago greets the first missionary of St. Colombano in Chile
- 2013-01-24 AMERICA/CHILE - "From the heart of Aparecida, to live as missionary disciples": a thousand young people at the First National Congress of Catholic youth
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/CHILE - "A Problem that affects everyone": meeting of the Justice and Peace Commission for the Mapuche conflict
- 2013-01-10 AMERICA/CHILE - "The situation of indigenous peoples requires the remedy of centuries of marginalization and injustice": Bishops on Mapuche