AMERICA/CHILE - "The situation of indigenous peoples requires the remedy of centuries of marginalization and injustice": Bishops on Mapuche
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops members of the Standing Committee of the Episcopal Conference of Chile expressed their "deep concern" about the conflict that the village of La Araucanía is experiencing and stressed the importance of taking concrete measures to end the violence "with deep respect for human life and the dignity of persons."
In the statement entitled "Blessed are those who work for peace", sent to Fides Agency, together with the need to recognize the culture of the Mapuche people, the Bishops express their confidence "in the authorities, the representatives of society and the community, so that they channel these desires, welcoming the contribution of all, adopting the best decisions and giving always preference to respect and dialogue as a means of resolution to the conflicts."
The declaration, which affirms the full co-operation to this end, concludes that "this protracted situation of indigenous peoples, requires the remedy of centuries of marginalization and injustice." Just yesterday, Wednesday, January 9, the Bishop of Temuco, His Exc. Mgr. Manuel Camilo Vial, had spoken to the national press to warn them that "at the moment there is extreme violence and fear everywhere. The Mapuche people were treated badly for a long time. I have been in Temuco for 12 years and I have always said that Chile has an open challenge with the Mapuche people, and should be considered in the Constitution. Violent people are not part of the Mapuche." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013)
- 2014-01-09 AMERICA/CHILE - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 AMERICA/CHILE - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/CHILE - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 AMERICA/CHILE - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 AMERICA/CHILE - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project
- 2013-11-22 AMERICA/CHILE - Solidarity of the Chilean Church to the victims of the typhoon that hit the Philippines
- 2013-11-08 AMERICA/CHILE – Mgr. Ezzati re-elected President of the CECh; waiting for the final message of the Assembly
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/CHILE - A 12-meter missionary cross to conclude the "Youth Mission"
- 2013-10-11 AMERICA/CHILE - "Water should not be anyone's privilege": the first congress for water in Chile
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/CHILE - "All missionaries and for the whole world": the contribution of Chile to the missions