AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The priest of Rwandan origins expelled in August returns to Zambia
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - Fr. Viateur Banyangandora, the priest of Rwandan origins expelled by the Zambian authorities in early August (see Fides 07/08/2012), returned to the country on January 7. Fr. Banyangandora was welcomed by Mgr. George Lungu, Bishop of Chipata, at Lusaka airport, and said that the priest will issue statements at the appropriate time.
Fr. Banyangandora’s expulsion had provoked a strong reaction from the Church. Over 130 local priests had signed a petition for the withdrawal of the measure (see Fides 09/08/2012).
Fr. Viateur is a refugee from Rwanda who was ordained in 2004. "He became a priest of the diocese of Chipata. He chose to stay in Chipata as one of diocesan priests, until his death" emphasized Mgr. Lungu in a pastoral letter which reconstructed the priest’s arrest and expulsion from the Country. After spending five months in Rwanda, the authorities in Lusaka allowed Fr. Banyangandora to return to what he considers his new home now. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2013-05-10 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - "Valuable money is wasted due to the high number of by-elections" denounces Caritas
- 2013-03-15 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - "Why do so many by-elections deprive hospitals of the funds they need?"
- 2013-03-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Christians launch a campaign to combat violence against women
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Christian leaders: "We are extremely disturbed and greatly saddened by the electoral violence"
- 2013-01-29 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The Bishops denounce serious violations of human rights, "the Country is not in a state of emergency"
- 2013-01-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The priest of Rwandan origins expelled in August returns to Zambia
- 2012-08-20 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The bishops contrary to defining Zambia in the constitutional preamble as a "Christian nation"
- 2012-08-09 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - 130 priests call for the revocation of Fr.Viateur’s deportation
- 2012-08-07 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The Bishop of Chipata protests for the deportation of a priest of Rwandese origin
- 2012-06-28 AFRICA/ZAMBIA - 60% of health services in rural areas is managed by the Catholic Church