AFRICA/ZAMBIA - The priest of Rwandan origins expelled in August returns to Zambia
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - Fr. Viateur Banyangandora, the priest of Rwandan origins expelled by the Zambian authorities in early August (see Fides 07/08/2012), returned to the country on January 7. Fr. Banyangandora was welcomed by Mgr. George Lungu, Bishop of Chipata, at Lusaka airport, and said that the priest will issue statements at the appropriate time.
Fr. Banyangandora’s expulsion had provoked a strong reaction from the Church. Over 130 local priests had signed a petition for the withdrawal of the measure (see Fides 09/08/2012).
Fr. Viateur is a refugee from Rwanda who was ordained in 2004. "He became a priest of the diocese of Chipata. He chose to stay in Chipata as one of diocesan priests, until his death" emphasized Mgr. Lungu in a pastoral letter which reconstructed the priest’s arrest and expulsion from the Country. After spending five months in Rwanda, the authorities in Lusaka allowed Fr. Banyangandora to return to what he considers his new home now. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed
- 2013-10-02 - "Do we still have a functioning state? " Asks Caritas
- 2013-09-16 - The right to a better education, better teachers and beautiful classrooms
- 2013-08-31 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Death of Cardinal Mazombwe, Archbishop Emeritus of Lusaka
- 2013-08-02 - Mothers manage the first kindergarten in the Chipata area
- 2013-06-13 - "The Constitution cannot be eaten, but can ensure food on our tables"