AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
Sacramento (Agenzia Fides) - The authorities of the State of California will have to face serious financial difficulties if they do not just focus on the growing phenomenon of poverty among children. This is what emerges in a report just released by the Center for the New Generation where it is stated that, in the most populous State in the United States, more than 1 child out of 5 lives below the poverty line. According to the latest statistics announced by the registry office of the United States, child poverty is becoming increasingly endemic among the growing Latino population in California, where almost one Latin child out of 3 lives in poverty. In Los Angeles, where there are more than 9.6 million people, there are about 2.4 million children, of whom more than 17% are poor. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"