AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
Sacramento (Agenzia Fides) - The authorities of the State of California will have to face serious financial difficulties if they do not just focus on the growing phenomenon of poverty among children. This is what emerges in a report just released by the Center for the New Generation where it is stated that, in the most populous State in the United States, more than 1 child out of 5 lives below the poverty line. According to the latest statistics announced by the registry office of the United States, child poverty is becoming increasingly endemic among the growing Latino population in California, where almost one Latin child out of 3 lives in poverty. In Los Angeles, where there are more than 9.6 million people, there are about 2.4 million children, of whom more than 17% are poor. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water