AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A journalist of a community radio station in Bambari has been killed
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - A journalist of the community radio ''Bé-Oko'' in Bambari (in the center of the Central African Republic), Elisabeth Blanche Olofio, was killed by the rebels of the Seleka coalition during the occupation of the city. This is the complaint made by Fr. Jean Ignace Manéngou, a Catholic priest president of the Association of the Community Radios of Central Africa (ARC).
According to testimonies collected by the association, the journalist was killed during the looting of the broadcasting station office by a group of rebels.
In a statement the ARC "points out that community radio stations are apolitical and are in no way related to any structure affected by political or economic power, and deplores the fury against these stations, given that journalists do not have anything to do with the ongoing conflict." "The role of the community radios is to provide the community information they need for its development," the statement concluded.
From the areas occupied by the rebels other testimonies of looting and violence against civilians are reported.
In the meantime, delegations taking part in the peace negotiations which opens today, January 8 are arriving in Libreville (Gabon). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/01/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - Solidarity Visit to Bangui of a U.S. interfaith delegation
- 2014-04-08 - "The only institution that still functions is the Catholic Church" says the Archbishop of Douala on a visit in Bangui
- 2014-03-20 - "The rainy season is approaching, emergency aid for displaced people is urgently needed" say religious leaders
- 2014-03-17 - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
- 2014-03-12 - "The situation has improved in Bozoum, but the situation remains precarious in the rest of the Country", says a missionary
- 2014-03-05 - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 - "God exists and God knows"