AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Childhood penalized, 200,000 children at risk for malnutrition
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Every day around the world 19 000 children die, and one third of these deaths are related to malnutrition. There are countries where the hunger problem is particularly severe. Among them, the youngest in the world, South Sudan, where 200,000 children are at risk. In the hospital in the capital, Juba, every day children suffering from acute malnutrition, underweight for their age arrive. It is the only pediatric hospital in the country. Every year, humanitarian organizations seek to assist 70 000 children, but in southern Sudan more than 200 000 are at risk. The situation is even worse in rural areas, where children continue to die because of high fevers that lead to malaria. In the country there are 9 million people, half are minors. Before gaining independence in 2011, following several years of conflict with Sudan, most of the infrastructure was destroyed and an entire generation remained orphaned. The government, supported by international organizations, has managed to reduce poverty rates but still has much to do especially for children. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2013)
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues
- 2014-09-17 - Malakal destroyed by the war - testimony of a nun