AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Childhood penalized, 200,000 children at risk for malnutrition
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Every day around the world 19 000 children die, and one third of these deaths are related to malnutrition. There are countries where the hunger problem is particularly severe. Among them, the youngest in the world, South Sudan, where 200,000 children are at risk. In the hospital in the capital, Juba, every day children suffering from acute malnutrition, underweight for their age arrive. It is the only pediatric hospital in the country. Every year, humanitarian organizations seek to assist 70 000 children, but in southern Sudan more than 200 000 are at risk. The situation is even worse in rural areas, where children continue to die because of high fevers that lead to malaria. In the country there are 9 million people, half are minors. Before gaining independence in 2011, following several years of conflict with Sudan, most of the infrastructure was destroyed and an entire generation remained orphaned. The government, supported by international organizations, has managed to reduce poverty rates but still has much to do especially for children. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2013)
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"