ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Korean Bishops: A New Year for the New Evangelization
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - 2013 will be a year dedicated to the New Evangelization, in which the faithful will dedicate themselves "with new ardor, new methods and new expressions": This is what the Korean Bishops say in various pastoral Letters, sent to the faithful of different dioceses of which a copy was also sent to Fides Agency. A constant through the letters sent by the Bishops: the theme of the procalmation, given in particular to the laity in the Year of Faith.
As reported to Fides by the Episcopal Conference, the Korean Bishops underline that "the Church must first be evangelized in order to evangelize the world", therefore the faithful must "renew and confirm themselves, strengthening their faith, to be witnesses of the Gospel". For this reason, several dioceses have launched programs to study and practice the spirit and teachings of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the documents of the Second Vatican Council, landmarks in the Year of Faith. The Bishops also suggest to strengthen the "Small Christian Communities" and commitment to the evangelization of society, based on the pastoral care of the family and youth.
In his pastoral Letter, His Exc. Mgr. Andrew Yeom Soo-jung, Archbishop of Seoul, said the center will be "the mission of the New Evangelization with particular attention to the Year of Faith." The Archbishop suggests the faithful five points to be explored: the faith starting from the Word; faith, to grow in prayer; faith to confirm the Church's teachings; faith which unites during the celebration of Mass; the charity, fruit of faith. In His Exc. Mgr. Hyginus Kim Hee-joong’s Pastoral Letter, Archbishop of Gwangju, the faithful are invited to live the year 2013 with the motto "The Church: a family that proclaims the Gospel," recalling the motto for the year 2012 which was: "The Church, a family in prayer." Priority, explains the Archbishop, will be given to the pastoral care for the family. Among other messages, His Exc. Mgr. Lazzaro You Heung-sik, Bishop of Daejeon, emphasizes that the community "must focus on young people and become involved in the life of the Church." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2013)
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul to Buddhists: "Let us together become a sign of peace and sharing"
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The industrial complex of Kaesong closes but the "North-South cooperation is not completely interrupted," notes the Church
- 2013-04-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The "new Korean martyrs": an example in the Year of Faith
- 2013-04-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Winds of War, the Bishops appeal to the Pope: "Ask the leaders to work for peace"
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul, "Graces and blessings on our brothers and sisters in North Korea"
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Prison camps spread out and encompass the villages
- 2013-03-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula": Archbishop of Seoul’s appeal
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Evangelization: a priority in the Year of Faith
- 2013-01-28 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Danger of cannibalism in the poorest provinces affected by drought and famine
- 2013-01-25 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA- High tension between the Koreas: religions call for a "change of course"