AMERICA/CHILE - The local Catholic community’s appeal, "Stop to violence in our Araucanía!"
Temuco (Agenzia Fides) - "We see with sorrow the suffering of so many families, so we insist: stop to violence in our Araucanía! As mentioned before, violence begets violence. Justice, dialogue and peace must reign! As a Church we reaffirm that dialogue in truth is the only responsible way to build a society in which there is always justice for all. "
This is what is said in a statement sent to Fides Agency by the Vicar General of the Diocese of San José de Temuco, father Giglio Linfati Cantergiani, who after quoting the Pope's message for World Day of Peace this year, says: "We deeply deplore what the region is experiencing, these irrational acts for human and democratic coexistence.
We pray to God that these events are never repeated."
The statement was made public on January 4, following the serious news of another burnt house, where the couple Werner Luchsinger Lemp and Vivian McKay died in the area called "General López" in the town of Vilcún, 25 kilometers from the capital, in the region of La Araucanía. The President of Chile, who went on site immediately after this tragic event, told the local press: "This government will work to combat terrorism that is affecting the area. the law with all the rigor will be applied. I want to be absolutely clear : This fight is not against the Mapuche people, but against a minority of violent people and terrorists, and must be fought with the utmost rigor of the law."
The conflict in the area has a long history, since small groups of indigenous radicals have asked the ownership of ancestral lands and autonomy in the area (see Fides 02/05/2012; 25/07/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2013)
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/CHILE - "Chile has a debt with the Mapuche community," said Msg. Vial in his greetings to the community
- 2013-05-18 AMERICA/CHILE - "Candidates need to impress people with a real project," said the Bishop of Rancagua
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/CHILE - Family, education, entrepreneurship: Pastoral Letter to the Chilean politicians in view of the presidential elections
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/CHILE - "Family, public education and well-paid job," the concern of the Church
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/CHILE - Less Catholics in the country, "a fact that cannot leave us indifferent," says the Church
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/CHILE - Education should become a benefit for everyone is what the Bishop of Rancagua hopes
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/CHILE - The Community of Santiago greets the first missionary of St. Colombano in Chile
- 2013-01-24 AMERICA/CHILE - "From the heart of Aparecida, to live as missionary disciples": a thousand young people at the First National Congress of Catholic youth
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/CHILE - "A Problem that affects everyone": meeting of the Justice and Peace Commission for the Mapuche conflict
- 2013-01-10 AMERICA/CHILE - "The situation of indigenous peoples requires the remedy of centuries of marginalization and injustice": Bishops on Mapuche