ASIA/JORDAN - The Islamists assert themselves at the university elections; for Archbishop Lahham it is not a result of political importance
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - The results of the elections of student representatives have just been celebrated at the University of Jordan. There was no tension, the representatives of Islamist forces won 36 of the 94 seats, adding the 33 seats won by the candidates voted individually to the three seats (out of nine available) obtained by the lists on a proportional basis. 18 thousand students voted, with percentages that exceeded 63 percent of the university population for the vote expressed in favor of the lists.
Reasons of public interest of the university election consultation is that it was carried out with a voting system very similar to that, on the basis of the Electoral Act 2012, will be in force for the imminent parliamentary elections, scheduled for next January 23. In Jordan, the Muslim Brotherhood has so far confirmed the decision to boycott the elections in order to express their dissent against the electoral law, which in their opinion would have been artfully calibrated to foster political forces close to the Hashemite monarchy.
Archbishop Maroun Laham, Patriarchal Vicar for Jordan of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, does not give the test of the university vote particular political significance: "Here in Jordan," says Archbishop Lahham to Fides Agency "the Muslim Brotherhood still continue to keep a low profile, especially if one takes into account what is happening in Egypt and Syria, and given the fame and the political clout that the Muslim Brotherhood are taking in all the Arab countries. To obtain a third of the votes in the university elections is certainly a good result, but it is not a triumph." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/12/2012).
- 2014-09-25 - King Abdallah II to the UN: Christians are a "constitutive" part of the Middle East
- 2014-09-17 - King Abdullah II: we will do our best to increase the presence of Arab Christians
- 2014-08-22 - Caritas Jordan welcomes Iraqi Christians put to flight by the jihadists of the Islamic State (IS)
- 2014-06-26 - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
- 2014-06-24 - A thousand children born in the refugee camp in Zaatari. The director of Caritas: we give them a future
- 2014-05-21 - Syrian refugees await Pope Francis. The director of Caritas Jordan: they hope that the world will remember them
- 2014-05-19 - 1,400 children to receive first communion at Pope-led mass at the Amman Stadium
- 2014-05-15 - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-05-03 - A special prayer for the Pope's pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-04-14 - The director of Caritas: among the refugees, the number of Christians increases