ASIA/JORDAN - The Islamists assert themselves at the university elections; for Archbishop Lahham it is not a result of political importance
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - The results of the elections of student representatives have just been celebrated at the University of Jordan. There was no tension, the representatives of Islamist forces won 36 of the 94 seats, adding the 33 seats won by the candidates voted individually to the three seats (out of nine available) obtained by the lists on a proportional basis. 18 thousand students voted, with percentages that exceeded 63 percent of the university population for the vote expressed in favor of the lists.
Reasons of public interest of the university election consultation is that it was carried out with a voting system very similar to that, on the basis of the Electoral Act 2012, will be in force for the imminent parliamentary elections, scheduled for next January 23. In Jordan, the Muslim Brotherhood has so far confirmed the decision to boycott the elections in order to express their dissent against the electoral law, which in their opinion would have been artfully calibrated to foster political forces close to the Hashemite monarchy.
Archbishop Maroun Laham, Patriarchal Vicar for Jordan of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, does not give the test of the university vote particular political significance: "Here in Jordan," says Archbishop Lahham to Fides Agency "the Muslim Brotherhood still continue to keep a low profile, especially if one takes into account what is happening in Egypt and Syria, and given the fame and the political clout that the Muslim Brotherhood are taking in all the Arab countries. To obtain a third of the votes in the university elections is certainly a good result, but it is not a triumph." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/12/2012).
- 2015-09-16 - The Jordanian proposal: let us set aside the term "minority"
- 2015-09-15 - Social media: instrument of dialogue or religious hatred?
- 2015-07-03 - The UN decreases aid to Syrian refugees. The Director of Caritas Jordan: the great powers have created the catastrophe, and now they wash their hands
- 2015-05-21 - Educational project for young Christian refugees who have fled from north Iraq
- 2015-04-29 - The first "Lourdes Grotto" in the Hashemite Kingdom
- 2015-03-02 - The parish pastoral Councils answer the questions for the Synod on the family
- 2015-02-10 - CCSM denounces offensive drawings of Lord Jesus Christ on hookahs
- 2015-02-04 - Today masses and prayers in churches for the pilot burned alive by jihadists
- 2015-02-03 - Jordanian Minister: satirical cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad have nothing to do with Christianity
- 2015-01-22 - King Abdullah II praises the Pope: religions must not offended