AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Archbishop Rugambwa in Sierra Leone for the ordination of the Bishop of Makeni
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Protase Rugambwa, Secretary Adjunct of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and President of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) will pay a visit in Sierra Leone from 31 December 2012 to 7 January 2013. The main purpose of his visit is the episcopal ordination of His Exc. Mgr. Henry Aruna, Bishop elect of Makeni. Besides the ordination of Mgr. Aruna, on January 5, Mgr. Rugambwa will meet the Bishops of the Episcopal Conference and the clergy of the Diocese of Makeni, he will visit St Paul's Major Seminary in Freetown and some of the projects that have been realized with the financial support of the PMS.
The Diocese of Makeni was governed for 25 years by His Exc. Mgr. George Biguzzi, S.X. It covers an area of 36,100 square kilometers and has a total population of 1,800,000 inhabitants, of which 50,000 Catholics. The majority of the population (about 70%) is Muslim. There are other religions and Christian denominations that have about 100,000 followers. The Diocese is divided into 12 parishes, has 32 diocesan priests and 34 religious, 4 Fidei Donum, helped by 14 religious brothers who are not priests, 29 religious women and 156 catechists. There are 219 educational and 9 charity institutions.
Mgr. Henry Aruna was born on August 2, 1964 in Yemandu, from a Christian family. After studying in Sierra Leone and Liberia, from 1989 to 1992 he studied at the Urbaniana University in Rome, where he obtained a BA in Theology. E 'was ordained April 16, 1993. He holds a Licentiate in Philosophy at the University Ubanania and a Master of Education at the University of Sierra Leone. Among the various positions held: Professor at the Major Seminary, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference and National Director of the PMS. On January 7, 2012 Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Bishop of Makeni. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 29/12/2012)
- 2013-06-11 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Human trafficking causes thousands of street children
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - More than 3,000 children forced to work in caves to pay for college and help families
- 2012-12-29 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Archbishop Rugambwa in Sierra Leone for the ordination of the Bishop of Makeni
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Thousands of children are working in the diamond mines to survive
- 2012-11-26 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Elections: many promises, but no candidate has said where he will get the resources to implement them
- 2012-08-27 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - State of national emergency for the worst cholera outbreak in recent years
- 2012-08-07 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - "A vote in the interest of the nation and in accordance with Gospel values" ask the Bishops
- 2012-07-30 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Alarm and concern about an uncontrollable cholera epidemic
- 2012-06-02 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - It is important to bring war criminals to justice, but we also need to improve the population's economic and social advancement
- 2012-05-30 AFRICA/SIERRA LEONE - Taylor sentenced to 50 years imprisonment, "but who will pay the victims of violence?" Asks a missionary