AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Year of Faith, "a challenge to promote social cohesion": Cardinal Urosa Savino’s message
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, published his New Year message addressed to all Venezuelans calling for citizens to promote social cohesion and the to authorities to increase security for the population. The message, which begins by recalling the Holy Father’s invitation to celebrate the Year of Faith, aims to "live the Catholic faith in the midst of a secular world, indifferent, and sometimes contrary to God."
In the text sent to Fides Agency, the Cardinal says: "Being a Catholic is a joy but it involves great challenges. Living the faith means to fight against violence", then he added: "We must insist on constitutional government authorities to safeguard personal safety and property of all Venezuelans. In this regard, we support all legitimate efforts of governmental and non-governmental organizations to combat violence and its sources."
The Cardinal Archbishop of Caracas also says: "Our faith calls us to promote social cohesion. Faced with uncertainty concerning President Hugo Chavez’s health, we must respect the Constitution. Everyone needs to respect and defend the constitutional rules during a possible temporary or absolute absence of the President. We cannot accept other ways, because they would throw the country into instability and violate the rights of Venezuelans. "At the end of the message, the Cardinal asks us to pray for the prisoners, the poor and the sick, especially for the President. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/12/2012)
- 2013-06-12 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The poor cannot wait," meeting of Caritas Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Maronite Patriarch Rai: "Venezuela is in good hands"
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Infant malnutrition remains a serious problem
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The church offers itself as a guarantor of peace before the violence in the country
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Nicolas Maduro new Venezuelan President
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A Day dedicated to Girls and Indigenous Children
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa in Rome at the Mass for Chavez: "Look ahead and seek peace"