AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Year of Faith, "a challenge to promote social cohesion": Cardinal Urosa Savino’s message
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, published his New Year message addressed to all Venezuelans calling for citizens to promote social cohesion and the to authorities to increase security for the population. The message, which begins by recalling the Holy Father’s invitation to celebrate the Year of Faith, aims to "live the Catholic faith in the midst of a secular world, indifferent, and sometimes contrary to God."
In the text sent to Fides Agency, the Cardinal says: "Being a Catholic is a joy but it involves great challenges. Living the faith means to fight against violence", then he added: "We must insist on constitutional government authorities to safeguard personal safety and property of all Venezuelans. In this regard, we support all legitimate efforts of governmental and non-governmental organizations to combat violence and its sources."
The Cardinal Archbishop of Caracas also says: "Our faith calls us to promote social cohesion. Faced with uncertainty concerning President Hugo Chavez’s health, we must respect the Constitution. Everyone needs to respect and defend the constitutional rules during a possible temporary or absolute absence of the President. We cannot accept other ways, because they would throw the country into instability and violate the rights of Venezuelans. "At the end of the message, the Cardinal asks us to pray for the prisoners, the poor and the sick, especially for the President. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/12/2012)
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions