AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Rebels suspend military operations; summit on the crisis in the Countries of Central Africa
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - In the Central African Republic rebels of the Seleka coalition agreed to suspend military operations to "give a possibility to dialogue", while in the capital of Chad, N'Djamena, a meeting of the Heads of State of the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) totally dedicated to the Central African crisis opens today, December 21. The ECCAS deployed a peacekeeping force in Central Africa (MICOPAX), whose mandate is due to expire.
Following the rebel offensive, Chad has sent troops to Central Africa, but according to one of the leaders of Seleka, the Chadian military have the task to interpose between the rebels and the army of Bangui and not to support the latter. Chad has offered its willingness to mediate between the government of Bangui and rebels of Seleka, but at the moment there are not any of their representatives invited to the summit in N'Djamena.
Shortly before the announcement of the suspension of military operations, the rebels of Seleka had conquered the city of Batangafo, 300 km north of the capital, Bangui. Seleka The coalition is made up of three armed groups who signed in 2007-2011 peace agreements with the government in Bangui. The coalition calls for the respect of these agreements. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2012)
- 2013-06-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Let us intervene immediately to prevent the Central African Republic to become the Somalia of Central Africa"
- 2013-06-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The important thing is to be close to the poor," says the Bishop of the devastated Diocese of Bangassou
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is likely to become a home for Al Qaeda," says a missionary
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "What are the true intentions of Seleka towards us?" Ask the Bishops
- 2013-05-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The looting of the rebels continues, another church desecrated
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-16 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The already poor population is stripped of everything," denounces the Bishop of Bangui