ASIA/SRI LANKA - The situation for the population affected by the floods continues to worsen
Colombo (Agenzia Fides) - Damage to people and structures in 14 of the 25 administrative districts of Sri Lanka continue to increase, where for more than a week heavy rains have been causing damage to the country (see Fides 19/12/2012). The affected area is one of the major regions of the world production of tea. So far, at least 25 deaths have been recorded, 36 missing as well as almost half a million people have remained isolated in their homes. The majority of deaths are due to landslides that have submerged homes. According to the local institute that deals with the management of environmental disasters, more than 265 thousand people have been swept away from their homes and thousands more have sought refuge at family and friends homes or in emergency shelters. 102 relief camps have been set up where there are nearly 18,845 people of more than 5000 families. These are the worst floods that have hit Sri Lanka since early 2011 when, unexpectedly, heavy monsoon rains ì killed 64 people and caused more than a million to leave their homes. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2012)
- 2014-07-11 - The struggle for survival of 40 000 female-headed households in the former war zone
- 2014-05-07 - The Bishop of Jaffna: "Our ministry is reconciliation"
- 2014-04-11 - The government also puts a priest in the list of "terrorist" because he defends the Tamil
- 2014-04-04 - Drought and monsoons: the dramatic situation especially for the poorest people
- 2014-03-20 - The Oblate missionaries: importance to guarantee the respect of human rights in Sri Lanka
- 2014-03-15 - The Tamil clergy to the UN: "human rights abuses, international intervention is urgent"
- 2014-03-11 - Christian Pastor attacked by Buddhist extremists
- 2014-01-29 - Christians took to the streets for religious freedom: 18 Buddhists on trial for attacks against churches
- 2014-01-07 - The Bishop of Mannar calls for an international investigation into war crimes in Sri Lanka
- 2013-12-06 - Indifference on behalf of the government with regards to the increasing number of attacks against Christians