ASIA/SRI LANKA - The situation for the population affected by the floods continues to worsen
Colombo (Agenzia Fides) - Damage to people and structures in 14 of the 25 administrative districts of Sri Lanka continue to increase, where for more than a week heavy rains have been causing damage to the country (see Fides 19/12/2012). The affected area is one of the major regions of the world production of tea. So far, at least 25 deaths have been recorded, 36 missing as well as almost half a million people have remained isolated in their homes. The majority of deaths are due to landslides that have submerged homes. According to the local institute that deals with the management of environmental disasters, more than 265 thousand people have been swept away from their homes and thousands more have sought refuge at family and friends homes or in emergency shelters. 102 relief camps have been set up where there are nearly 18,845 people of more than 5000 families. These are the worst floods that have hit Sri Lanka since early 2011 when, unexpectedly, heavy monsoon rains ì killed 64 people and caused more than a million to leave their homes. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2012)
- 2015-06-23 - The Bishops: "The representation of minorities in Parliament has to be ensured"
- 2015-02-13 - Civil society: "Confidence in the hundred days of the new government's reforms"
- 2015-01-28 - Cardinal Ranjith: for peace and religious harmony, the government "is on the right path"
- 2015-01-14 - The local Church: "From Madhu hope to revive peace"
- 2015-01-13 - "The presence of the Pope, a sign of peace and unity, a wake up call for the nation"
- 2015-01-12 - Cardinal Ranjith: "The Pope's visit will be an impetus to reconciliation"
- 2015-01-09 - The Bishops: "a new era of peace and reconciliation with newly-elected president Sirisena"
- 2014-12-29 - Presidential election campaign, while the Catholic Church is preparing itself for the Pope's visit
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops, between the Pope's visit and elections: "The visit will take place without any problems"
- 2014-10-29 - Pope's visit confirmed