ASIA/SRI LANKA - The situation for the population affected by the floods continues to worsen
Colombo (Agenzia Fides) - Damage to people and structures in 14 of the 25 administrative districts of Sri Lanka continue to increase, where for more than a week heavy rains have been causing damage to the country (see Fides 19/12/2012). The affected area is one of the major regions of the world production of tea. So far, at least 25 deaths have been recorded, 36 missing as well as almost half a million people have remained isolated in their homes. The majority of deaths are due to landslides that have submerged homes. According to the local institute that deals with the management of environmental disasters, more than 265 thousand people have been swept away from their homes and thousands more have sought refuge at family and friends homes or in emergency shelters. 102 relief camps have been set up where there are nearly 18,845 people of more than 5000 families. These are the worst floods that have hit Sri Lanka since early 2011 when, unexpectedly, heavy monsoon rains ì killed 64 people and caused more than a million to leave their homes. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2012)
- 2014-03-11 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Christian Pastor attacked by Buddhist extremists
- 2014-01-29 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Christians took to the streets for religious freedom: 18 Buddhists on trial for attacks against churches
- 2014-01-07 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The Bishop of Mannar calls for an international investigation into war crimes in Sri Lanka
- 2013-12-06 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Indifference on behalf of the government with regards to the increasing number of attacks against Christians
- 2013-10-25 ASIA/SRI LANKA - A Tamil priest: The government has failed in reconciliation, a prophetic role of religious leaders is needed
- 2013-10-23 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The Commission "Justice and Peace" in Jaffna denounces "the genocide of Tamils"
- 2013-06-11 ASIA/SRI LANKA - Bishops to the government: "Yes to decentralization and a new Constitution"
- 2013-05-03 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The Bishop of Galle: "Dialogue with Buddhists, no to all forms of violence. The Pope encourages us "
- 2013-04-30 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The case of the Buddhist "Taliban" explodes: Church re-launches the work for religious harmony
- 2012-12-21 ASIA/SRI LANKA - The situation for the population affected by the floods continues to worsen