AFRICA/KENYA - At least 30 deaths for an assault on a village in the Tana River District
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The toll is of at least 30 deaths caused by a new attack linked to clashes between pastoralists and farmers in the Tana River District, in Kenya. as reported by the local Red Cross; among the victims there are 5 women and 5 children. The massacre occurred when an armed group belonging to the tribe of Pokomo (farmers) attacked a village of Orma, semi-nomadic herders. A police chief said that the attackers were armed with spears and assault rifles AK-47 (Kalashnikov).
In recent months the violent incidents between the two tribal groups that are vying for control of land resources, land and water in particular have increased. Between August and September, at least 110 people died in clashes between Pokomo and Orma.
After the discovery of a mass grave in the region with more than 100 bodies, victims of the massacres, Cardinal John Njue, Archbishop of Nairobi, had asked for a decisive action of the authorities to put an end to violence and especially to address the causes of inter- Community conflict (see Fides 19/09/2012). Conflicts between pastoralists and settled semi-nomad farmers are not new in Kenya, as in other parts of Africa. In recent times, however, fighting has become more violent and deadly because of the increasing availability of war weapons. It is feared that the traditional agro-pastoral conflicts are exploited for political purposes, in view of the 2013 elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2012)
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children
- 2015-10-26 - “The Bishops are certain the visit of Pope Francis will reinforce national unity