AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Over 16 thousand people live on the streets of Buenos Aires without access to health services
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - More than 16 000 people live on the streets of Buenos Aires, the capital and largest city of Argentina, with its 2,891,082 inhabitants, who have no access to basic health services. This was carried out by the Salud en la calle published by the NGO International Health Médicos del Mundo. The program of the NGO in the Argentine capital has been providing, for about 10 years, material assistance, psychological and social support to more than 2,000 people living on the streets. According to the study, the lack of identity documents is the main obstacle to the access to health services and support programs for 80% of the street people, 49% do not go to public centers for fear of ill-treatment, they have restrictive times and families are not allowed. 51% suffer from various addictions, alcohol, tobacco and cocaine. According to data from the National Institute of Statistics and Census (INDEC), for the first trimenstre 2012, in Argentina poverty affects 6.5% of families living in urban areas. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2012)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - 4 out of 10 children are extremely poor and deprived of basic necessities
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Minor workers engaged in heavy activity and at risk
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - " Pastoral ministry should always be missionary," Pope Francis’ message to his brother Argentinian bishops
- 2013-04-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops to the government: "More consultations on reforms, or democracy weakens "
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The action of young people in storms was a "silent revolution," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - More than 50 victims due to the torrential rains in Buenos Aires
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops of Patagonia: "social peace can be reached with the participation of all"
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Gestures that are potentially prophetic"
- 2013-03-14 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The joy and the prayer of Pope Francis’ compatriots
- 2013-02-22 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Education in the faith in schools: commitment of teachers